Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: J.K. Rowling’s New Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Maybe you’ve heard, maybe you haven’t, and maybe you just haven’t had time to really process it, but the wonderful wizarding world of Harry Potter is coming back to theaters.

Wait, what’s going on?

J.K. Rowling, author of the acclaimed Harry Potter series is partnering with Warner Bros. Entertainment to adapt her novel, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for the big screen.

I’m not familiar with that book.

In the Harry Potter series, one of the textbooks assigned to Harry and friends is Newt Scamander’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Rowling published a real version of the fictitious text for a charity event. The book is written from Scamander’s point of view and follows his encounters with acromantula (the giant spiders), dragons, phoenixes, unicorns, and all other types of creatures. Since it is written as a textbook, there are also “handwritten” comments by Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and of course, Harry Potter scattered through out. Remember, it’s a required reading at Hogwarts.

How are they going to make a movie out of it then?

Like many of her other characters, Newt Scamander has an extensive backstory not presented in the Harry Potter series. Rowling says that, “I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favorite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.” With her extensive knowledge of Scamander’s life, Rowling will help create a film narrative that chronicles his adventures with mystical creatures.

So how does this connect to Harry Potter?

Rowling wants to be clear that the film will not be a prequel or a sequel, “but an extension of the wizarding world.” So while Scamander’s life has very little to do with Harry’s, his story will still feature many of the magical elements we love.

Additionally, the events of the film not only take place in New York, but are also happening seventy years before the events of Harry’s life. Gatsby fans rejoice because this means we are going to see the wizarding world in the Roaring 1920s. Could it get any more magical?

What can we expect?

First, we can expect the excitement of experiencing the wizarding world through a new character’s perspective. Not only that but it’ll be during a different era and in a place closer to home.

Second, we know it’s going to be insightful. With Rowling as a writer, the information presented isn’t just speculated by filmmakers with a little author input. Instead, it will be facts coming straight from Rowling herself, which means we can expect to learn new things and make connections to others.

Third, we get to follow along again. Set photos, casting updates, spoilers, teaser trailers, and real trailers will be welcomed updates to distract us from our homework.

Finally, expect nostalgia. Almost all of us had an experience with Harry Potter during our childhoods. Whether we read the books, saw the films (in costume or not), owned the dolls, Legos, or coloring books, or perhaps all of the above, we can’t just forget the influence it had on us.

Get excited, collegiettes™!

Kristen Mouris

U Mass Amherst

Kristen Mouris is currently a senior English major and Campus Correspondent at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is also serving as Associate Editor of English Society's literary journal, Jabberwocky. She is originally from Falmouth, MA. Her interests include hunting for new music, writing, and reading movie trivia.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst