Falling in Love with Fall: 10 Reasons Why Autumn is the Best Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Summer is officially over and fall is in full swing. Although it’s hard to say goodbye to long days and warm weather, no season compares to fall. It is by far the coziest time of year, and the vibes are unmatchable. There are so many unique activities, warm scents, and alluring colors that make fall the best season!

1. Changing Leaves

One of the most incredible parts about living in New England is the fall foliage. The leaves ditch their green hue and transform into a kaleidoscope of vibrant oranges, yellows, and reds. It is truly breathtaking and reminds you how beautiful nature can be.

1ywg8LzxiBHEL7r7ccdUJprWKzEI

2. Cooler Weather

After months of humidity and uncontrollable sweating, the drop in temperature feels so refreshing. It is so nice being able to go outside and actually enjoy the weather. The temperature is perfect, not too hot or too cold. It also is perfect for layering cute sweaters, jackets, and flannels!

3. Warm Spices and Crisp Scents

Autumn is one of the most aromatic times of year. The morning air is crisp and earthy. The fragrances of pumpkin spice, warm apple cider, cinnamon, and brown sugar are so homey and honestly make for the best candles. 

4. Fall Activities

Whether you’re looking for fun things to do with your family, friends, or partner, fall has the most abundant assortment of activities. Going apple picking, carving pumpkins, baking pies, exploring corn mazes, watching horror movies, and going on haunted hayrides are some things that I look forward to every fall!

5. Halloween

It’s impossible not to look forward to Halloween!  Decorating for Halloween and dressing up in fun costumes reminds me of trick-or-treating, which is one of my fondest childhood memories. (Who doesn’t love free candy?)

YXga W xVhRKyfSwMQPOeeTkjMpjTd1Lg4BqhJ3xE yv8UbTtIYzNnB NXgadDKB1Oj5FLmUA2B9Tar1nt665aPwBhRShINmTXyNQFcMhPZwSF862c wle MfZlpI

6. Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is an incredibly underrated holiday. The day starts with the Macy’s Day Parade and ends with an endless buffet of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and pie. Nothing is more relaxing than eating a home-cooked meal surrounded by the ones you love. 

7. Having a Routine

School is back in session, and whether you enjoy it or not, it is easier to establish a routine. Don’t get me wrong, making spontaneous plans in the summer is always super great, but it feels nice to have a consistent schedule.

8. Football Games

The football season kicks off in the fall, which is great news for sports fans. Whether you enjoy watching the Patriots play on the television or the Minutemen at McGuirk, watching the games is a great way to distract yourself from your school work. 

9. Hockey 

If football isn’t your thing, you could always watch hockey instead! With UMass being the reigning national champions, it might be hard to stay away from the rink. 

10. Fairs

Going to the fair is such a treat. The vibrant neon signs attract you to the cotton candy and caramel apples that can be found at every corner. There are so many great agricultural and culinary attractions. It’s also a great place to go on a date. You could win your partner a stuffed animal at the carnival games or take pictures on the ferris wheel. 

nw86GR12ikqs8SQ04xNzOHAGjorqrA5tw NwGloSnYrWy8

How could you not fall in love with fall?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Serena Chiasson

U Mass Amherst '24

Serena is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying biomedical engineering.