This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a college student, it can be difficult to keep up with current fashion trends, whether it is due to a lack of access to a variety of stores, or simply because of an average student’s budget, it can be tricky. Although I would love to be able to afford designer pieces, that’s not a reality for me and most people my age, so I try and find the best alternatives instead. I have collected my favorite fall trends for 2019 that can be purchased online, and that are all under $20. 

Animal Print

This is my absolute favorite trend right now, and I don’t think it is going anywhere too soon, so spending money on a few key pieces is definitely worth it. I personally like incorporating animal prints into my accessories, such as with belts and jewelry, but love having a few staple tops with prints as well.

This piece combines the animal print trend with the oversize blazer trend; this piece is great because it can be dressed up or dressed down, and it can be worn day to night. And the best part is–it’s only $15 from Shein.com.

Hair Clips/Barrettes

The next trend that has been appearing recently is hair clips and barrettes. The main reason I am loving this trend is that it makes me nostalgic of kindergarten and matching my barrettes with my hair accessories, so I’m glad to see they are making a comeback. What is better than keeping your hair out of your face and staying on trend? Nothing, honestly.

These ones are from Zara and only cost $19.90. I love the colors and texture on these, and they would look good with any color hair. The other great thing about these are that they can transition into and throughout the winter. 

Millennial Purple

If you’re at all like me and tend to stick to neutral clothing, then it is time to try a pop of color in your wardrobe, and the color to try is “millennial purple”. The shirt below has a square neckline, which has also been trending this season–and it is only $16 from Shein! This color is everywhere right now, so if you’re looking for something to wear other than black, then this is your best bet.

Hoop Earrings (Obviously!)

Hoop earrings have been on the rise for a while now, but for a good reason. They are a staple item that every girl should have to effortlessly dress up any outfit. The ones below are from H&M for less than $15, but you can find cheaper and simpler options at Shein, Target, or even Amazon. 

Faux Anything

Leather, suede, fur–you name it. Faux materials are coming into style and I could not be more excited. Just because a product is made from faux materials does not mean it is not good quality, it just means it has been made cruelty-free, and can be just as high-quality as the real thing. There are so many options now for affordable faux leather, fur, and suede, but I linked an inexpensive faux leather belt from Nasty Gal for only $12. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 

Shannon FitzGerald

U Mass Amherst '20

Shannon is a junior honors student at UMass Amherst studying Communication and Economics. Although she wishes she could be traveling all the time, she is usually found hanging out with her friends, binge watching shows on Netflix, and shopping wherever she can get the best deal!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst