This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Leaves changing colors, delicious cinnamon and pumpkin flavors, perfect sweatshirt and jogger weather… fall is easily the best season. I would also argue that it’s the best season to make specific playlists for, that is, if you know where to start. If not, don’t worry. This article will give you some dope new songs to get your playlist started. 

Victoria Monét is a talented artist with a stunning voice and incredible songwriting skills to match. In fact, Monét co-wrote six of the songs on Ariana Grande’s album, thank u, next. She then proceeded to release her own album, Jaguar, on Aug. 7 of this year. She even featured Khalid on it. And the best part? She disclosed that the album is just the first of three separate parts, so we can expect more from her soon.

Moment and Big Boss (Interlude)

She starts off the album with two short songs called “Moment” and “Big Boss (Interlude).” These are essentially about seizing the present, as it represents what you have manifested for yourself throughout your life. She also stated in an interview with Apple Music that “Big Boss” can be sung to yourself or to someone else, however you interpret it. Right off the bat, there are two smooth and captivating songs to introduce you to the potential of her voice.

Dive

Her next song, “Dive,” is one of the masterpieces of the album for sure. Often in pop culture we hear songs written and sang by males about sex. For women, it’s a lot harder to produce that type of content without receiving immense backlash. She does it gracefully, with metaphors, upbeat tempos, and even a jazz feel. This song is a remarkable combination of all the components I love hearing in songs.

We Might Even Be Falling In Love (Interlude)

She suggests that her next interlude is a cousin of “Dive” so we could only expect that “We Might Even Be Falling In Love” would be just as good. This song is a great pre-cuffing season song because she’s definitely talking romantically about someone, but not necessarily someone she’s already committed to. She sings, “And it feels like, I’m gonna know you for the rest of my life, it’s safe to say that we might even be falling in love.”

Jaguar

“Jaguar,” the title of the album, and the fifth song, is upbeat and fun. It gives me the bad bitch energy that Monét holds. The lyrics, “Walked by so fly, I made sure I took my time,” have perfect back to school vibes. She makes me want to get dressed up in thigh high boots just for Zoom!

Ass Like That

More. Boss. Vibes. “Ass Like That” is a song dedicated to her relationship with a guy named “Gym.” Hilarious! This song is perfect for a quick jog outside or a cool down after a workout sesh. She wrote these lyrics to emphasize how she deserves to, “talk about [her] own body the way men do in many rap songs.” QUEEN!

Touch Me

“Touch Me” is the last song on the album, and it leaves us wanting more from her. Previously on the album, she has referenced relationships with men, but in this song she switches the pronouns up to be “girl” and “her.” She wanted the album to not only be relatable, but ensure that young women could personally identify with it, regardless of their sexual orientation. What’s even more, is this song is based on a personal experience she really had.

Overall, total boss vibes from the album. Her voice has the same crisp, comfortable, and exciting feel as autumn. Some other honorable mentions from Victoria Monét are her “Touch Me” remix which just dropped (!!!) and her feature on “Monopoly” with Ariana Grande.

Arete Giannetti

U Mass Amherst '23

Arete is currently a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in hospitality and tourism management. In addition to Her Campus, she is an RA on campus. In her free time, she loves to make playlists, play games, and watch Wheel of Fortune!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst