This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sit down and buckle up, because another year of Her Campus is in full swing. As I slowly fall into my semester routine, I find myself watching all the newly added Netflix shows and movies whenever I have a spare 30 minutes… and you will not believe why I am so obsessed with Seinfeld right now. 

The four main characters that make up the cast are often advertised in Boston as “finally, New Yorkers we can tolerate!” but what part of our inner Bostonian craves comfort from the unsettling sound of Jerry Seinfeld’s voice? I mean, seriously, who can listen to that voice? Perhaps it’s the fact that the characters of the show have minor key components that we as a society are bread to crave, which is delivered in such a subliminal way because of the exaggerated mannerisms behind each character. 

For example, the storyline behind Jerry and Elane’s friendship, having bloomed after a failed romance between the two, is a type of relationship just about everyone wishes they had. Imagine having an ex to fall back on as a dear friend in your early 30s. Like, they’d just be a constant to fill in the plot of my life for the new lovers that I bring to the cheesy cocktail party that you and your ex/new BFF have been dreading for weeks. I don’t know, it sounds like a great deal if you ask me. 

Not to mention the fact that Kramer reminds us all of the recovered alcoholic men who played a role in our childhoods… oh please, just try to tell me I’m wrong. But I think what draws me to the show the most is the fact that it is undeniably a television series classic. Growing up hearing reruns from down the hall every Tuesday night from my parent’s room was sort of like my white noise machine back in 2006. There is something so nostalgic about the studio audience laugh tracks that remind me of hearing them behind the sound of my own mother cackling hard at something Jerry said (should I low-key judge her for that?). 

Lastly, if my own personal Seinfeld love affair hasn’t given you a reason yet to watch this TV sitcom, what about the fact that it is literally a cultural phenomenon? I mean, I hate missing pop culture references just like the rest of us, so why would I avoid the opportunity to study up on what could be a possible future John Mulaney bit?

Maybe that’s just my own irrational fear of missing out on a great pun, but maybe, just maybe, it will be your reason to watch the show and get in touch with your inner city roots as well as adopt the main character traits from your favorite star of the show.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Faithe Shatford

U Mass Amherst '23

Faithe is a senior studying education and English at Umass Amherst. They are from Gloucester Ma and like to play music.