Everything Pumpkin! Diving into the Hype Surrounding this Seasonal Flavor!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The season everyone has been waiting for has finally arrived! The season is between the one distinguished by the hot blazing sun and the one where a snowy blanket covers the ground. The leaves have finally begun changing colors. The air now leaves behind a cool breeze as it passes by. Everyone has begun apple picking at the orchards and indulging in apple cider donuts. One of the distinguishing features of the Autumn season is the flavor pumpkin, but what is all the hype about surrounding this seasonal flavor?

Roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin pie, pumpkin-flavored coffee, pumpkin doughnuts, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin cookies are just a few of the numerous pumpkin-flavored items everyone indulges in. People simply can’t seem to get enough of these Fall treats. A possible reason for this is that these items are limited at many places simply to the Autumn season. Another reason is that it reminds people of spending the holiday season with family and friends.

Surprisingly, I only began to enjoy the pumpkin spice flavor this year. My sister and my closest friends were always telling me how delicious the flavor was and that I needed to try it, but I honestly never had a desire to try the flavor. I associated the pumpkin spice flavor with chai and I had never been a fan of chai to begin with. Therefore, I never gave the flavor a chance. About a month ago, I visited one of my favorite places to get coffee, Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters, located in Hadley, Massachusetts. I always order my go-to drink, an iced caramel latte, but decided to switch it up. I decided on the pumpkin cream cold brew, and once I tried it, I felt as if I had been missing out on this seasonal flavor for years. The only way I can describe this drink is as if you are drinking a small piece of heaven. In conclusion, I have only gotten this drink special since I first discovered it. Some other notable mentions of pumpkin-flavored items that I have tried include pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice cookies, and Starbucks’ Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew

For me, and for many others, pumpkins remind me of carving pumpkins with my family to put out on our front steps for Halloween. It also reminds me of spending time with my extended family during Thanksgiving. Family is one of the most important factors in my life, and by indulging in these different pumpkin-flavored items, I am able to think of my family and all of the good times I had during my childhood and will continue to have with them.

Whether it be pumpkin pie, pumpkin cold brews, or carving pumpkins with your family, friends, and significant others, the seasonal flavor reminds us of a different aspect of our lives that is important to us. Make sure to get as much of this flavor as you possibly can. Before you know it, it will be gone and you’ll have to wait another year to get your favorites at these locations!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Sydney Lamoureux

U Mass Amherst '24

Sydney is in her junior year at Umass Amherst. She is a double major in legal studies and psychology with a minor in history. She loves advocating for mental health among college students as well as finding cute cafes in New England :)