Life > Experiences

Everything Northerners Need to Know Before Experiencing SEC Game Day

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I went to game day at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville for the Texas A&M game, and let me just say, it is nothing like a UMass Amherst football game! If you’re a northerner like me planning on experiencing SEC game day, here’s everything you need to know to be prepared.

The biggest difference between the North and the South on game day is by far the outfits that people wear. These southern girls wouldn’t be caught dead in a DIY cropped t-shirt from the school store; similarly, you’ll never catch girls wearing dresses and cowboy boots to a UMass tailgate. It was fun to dress up, but I’m definitely excited to wear a sweatshirt and a pair of jeans to the next football game here in Amherst! Another huge difference are the buttons girls wear. Whether it’s repping your sorority or a funny pun about the rival team (think “Our Cocks Are Bigger”), every girl wears some type of button on game day, with many having a large collection to choose from. I think if someone went to the McGuirk parking lot with a button, people would be a little confused.

After getting dressed up and taking a million pictures (obviously), there’s no bus to one huge tailgate. Instead, people walk to fraternity row, where everyone is. Now, these houses aren’t like the ones in Amherst, where the only thing separating it from an average college house is maybe a few more bedrooms and a lot more grime. Nope, these frat houses in Tennessee are literally mansions. Tall ceilings, multiple bathrooms with stalls (and yes, I even used an actual girls’ bathroom where they supplied tampons and deodorant on the sink), beautiful balconies, and super nice couches in great condition set these frat houses apart. Most houses even had a live band performing for everyone. The other difference is the hired security every house has per the university on game day. There were real security guards at the entrances of these houses, monitoring what people brought in and out of the house. Food, water, and drinks were even provided for a small price, if not for free.

I will say, it was definitely a culture shock to experience this. You need to come prepared with a cute outfit, hair, makeup, and the ability to go all day (and possibly all night) long. We’re not too used to winning here at UMass, so witnessing the celebration of winning a game was also fun and different, LOL. You also have to be ready to walk everywhere, as Knoxville is a super walkable city. Sure, you could Uber or take the bus, but just like any city, walking is going to get you somewhere faster.

Experiencing game day at an SEC school was fun and exciting, but I will say I’m happy to be back in maroon standing at the UMass tailgate. If you’re not used to the craziness of the South, it can be super overwhelming compared to the relatively laid-back style of our game days here. However, if you ever get the chance to experience it, you definitely should!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Keaira Ecklof

U Mass Amherst '25

Keaira Ecklof is a Junior majoring in English and she's excited to start her experience with HerCampus! She enjoys reading, watching movies, playing word games, and hanging with friends!