Bridgerton cast posing for Netflix poster
Netflix

Everyone Is Watching Bridgerton. Here’s 6 Reasons Why You Need to Too!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Bridgerton is the newest binge-worthy Netflix original of 2021, and if you haven’t watched it yet, you need to start right away!! It takes place in 1813 London, England, and follows the lives of the Bridgerton family as they navigate their love affairs through a series of scandals and mishaps revealed by a mysterious anonymous writer by the name of Mrs. Whistledown. ~ Insert Gossip Girl and Pride and Prejudice fans here~. Here are 6 reasons that you need to start the series (If I have not convinced you already;)) 

scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

1. The romance

The romance in Bridgerton is unmatched. If rom coms are your go-to on movie night, then look no further. The chemistry between two of the main characters, Daphne and Simon will for sure have you on the edge of your seat through a “will they or won’t they” plotline. 

2. The mystery

While the series does focus on London’s most elite navigating their love lives and trying to find spouses, the elusive Mrs. Whistledown helps to keep the rest of London in the loop as she publishes the secrets and scandals of these youths. The whole season has the characters constantly wondering and worrying about who Mrs. Whistledown could be and if they could be the victim of her next exposè. Spoiler: The identity of Mrs. Whistledown is revealed in the finale!!!! 

3. The outfits

Since the story does take place in 1813 London you should expect to see some of the most gorgeous/vintage dresses and suits that will have you getting inspo for your next outfit or Halloween costume!

4. The cast

The cast is chock-full of some new and familiar faces that will have you reaching for your phone to follow them on Instagram in the first hour. Every actor and actress in the series did an impeccable job with every single scene. Shoutout to the casting director!!

5. The music

One of my personal favorite aspects of the show is the sudden, but familiar music playing during many of the ballroom scenes. The director decided to put a modern spin on this Regency Era story by incorporating a classical version of some of today’s most popular songs, including “Thank U, Next” by Ariana Grande, “Wildest Dreams” by Taylor Swift, and “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish.

6. Eloise.

My most favorite character of the series (and I’m sure will be one of yours too) is Eloise Bridgerton, played by Claudia Jessie. Eloise spends most of her time trying to uncover the identity of Mrs. Whistledown while avoiding her inevitable fate of marrying and “joining society.” She brings a special twist to the series through her comedic one-liners and desire for independence. Definitely a fav. 

Daphne drinking
Netflix / Giphy.com

Once again, I cannot stress enough how badly you need to start Bridgerton!! It will end up being one of your favorites that you rewatch again and again. I’ve already watched it 3 times… and it only came out a few weeks ago…

Sarah Walsh

U Mass Amherst '23

Sarah is a Senior at UMass Amherst double majoring in Communication and Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Her favorite tv shows are Friends, The Office, and New Girl. And her favorite movies consist of the entire Harry Potter series. She loves to workout, spend time with family and friends, and walk her puppy, Rory.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst