Esselon cafe breakfast
Esselon cafe breakfast
Greer Long

Esselon Café: A Must-Try Breakfast Restaurant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

At the corner of Russell Street in Hadley sits Esselon Café, a local coffee shop and breakfast restaurant. I remembered seeing an out-the-door line at Esselon during fall move-in, so when my family came to visit last week, I knew we had to try it.

Esselon Café serves breakfast from the early morning until 3 p.m. — great news for late risers like myself. The menu consists of a wide range of breakfast foods, with omelets and pancakes galore, and a list of side dishes to add onto your meal. Esselon also has a lunch menu for those who are in the mood for a salad, sandwich, or even a quesadilla.

When you first walk into the restaurant, you order your food and drinks at the counter, then seat yourself. To satisfy my sweet tooth, I decided to try the mocha, while my mom got a latte. We were pleasantly surprised when my mom’s drink came out with beautiful latte art on top and my mocha with whipped cream. The mocha was rich and delicious, and my mom said her warm latte was the perfect way to start off our breakfast.

Esselon Cafe coffee
Greer Long

As for food, I ordered the egg sandwich with veggie sausage, my mom ordered the Challah French toast, and my stepdad ordered the three-egg omelet. My mom and I were intrigued by the sound of the “grilled potato cake,” so we ordered it as our side dish.

My egg sandwich came on a grilled ciabatta roll, which complemented the egg and cheese nicely. I love any type of egg and cheese sandwich, but the veggie sausage made it extra special since I rarely find that as a non-meat eater. The sandwich was flavorful and very filling, and it came with mixed greens and balsamic vinaigrette on the side. There was also a grilled potato cake on top of the side salad, which did not come out very hot, but I still enjoyed it.

My mom’s meal was the true winner of our breakfast, as it was one of the best French toasts we have ever had. The thick but fluffy Challah bread had a crispy outside and was topped with powdered sugar, making it a beautiful presentation. It was the perfect level of sweet, and it paired unbelievably well with the North Hadley Sugar Shack maple syrup. My mom usually does not put syrup on her French toast, but this local maple syrup was an exception. When my mom was done eating, my stepdad and I finished off her leftovers because we could not let it go to waste.

Esselon Cafe French toast
Greer Long

Last but not least, my stepdad’s omelet came out of the kitchen light and fluffy, paired with two pieces of toast and the same mixed greens that came with my dish. There are two options on the menu for the three-egg omelets, and he decided to go with the mushroom, cheddar, and ham omelet. Unfortunately, I could not try his dish because I do not eat ham, but he said it was perfectly cooked and he enjoyed the side salad.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Esselon Café, and I hope to return the next time I am craving a warm cup of coffee or some French toast. Of all the breakfast restaurants in and around Amherst, Esselon Café is most definitely a must-try for its delicious food, cozy atmosphere, and fair prices.

Esselon cafe omelette
Greer Long

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Greer Long

U Mass Amherst '24

Greer is a senior at UMass studying communication and business. She is a content editor and this is her fifth semester writing for Her Campus. In her free time, Greer enjoys shopping, food blogging, and traveling to new places.