An Eco-conscious Food Blog That’s Changing the Food Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Now more than ever, the conversation around food consumption and sustainability is ever-present. Vegan and plant-based diets are on the rise and more sustainable food choices are making their way into society than ever before. Whether people choose this due to dietary restrictions, their beliefs on the use of animal products, to reduce their ecological footprint, or is just how they take care of their bodies, it can be hard to continuously find recipes that live up to these needs. Someone who’s been changing the food game? Mia Zarlengo. Let’s talk about it.

Mia Zarlengo is a registered dietitian and recipe developer, who created her blog, Gathered Nutrition, in 2019. Through her work, she is committed to curating accessible and healthy recipes, finding simplicity in the kitchen, and focusing on topics of women’s hormonal health. With her history of having an autoimmune disease, she has experienced how much food impacts our well-being and found healing through food, and is sharing her journey through her blog. Most recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan, or at least one of the three. Listed below are some of my favorites by her!

Avocado toast, fruits and nuts, and coffee.
Photo by Mathilda Khoo from Unsplash

Cauliflower and Chickpea Veggie Burgers

Vegan and gluten free – link here! One of my favorite recent finds.

Creamy Tomato Pasta with Vegetables

Also gluten free and vegan, one of my go to pastas. Link here.

Stawberry Lemon Loaf (with Sugar Glaze)

Gluten free – made for a birthday a few months ago and was a hit. Link here!

Lentil and Cauliflower Tacos

Vegan and plant based! You can find the recipe here.

Grain Free Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay I know what you’re thinking, but trust me, the olive oil works. The best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made! The recipe can be found here.

Rai Vidanes

As someone who has struggled with their relationship with food, the meals I’ve found on Gathered Nutrition have helped further me on my food journey and pushed me to see food in a new light. Whether it’s been a new meal or a twist on an old favorite, the promotion of health here in these recipes has led me to feel and become healthier, and stay eco-conscious of the role food production has in terms of climate change (while helping me to reduce my footprint, as well). A link to Mia’s blog can be found here. Who says eating sustainably has to be restrictive?

Samira Sayan

U Mass Amherst '23

Samira is the Pinterest Coordinator and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in marketing and communications. Some of her passions are pop culture, music, and traveling. When she's not writing, you can find her hanging out with friends, binging her favorite TV series, or teaching/taking a spin class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst