Wellness

Earth Day Crystals: 5 Crystals to Help Ground You Back to Nature’s Energy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Grounding is an act of regaining stability and balance in oneself. Coming back to this place of balance helps one center their energy and promote healing. Working with crystals can help this process of grounding back to physical reality. Certain crystals are meant to promote grounding back to the Earth, helping one develop a deeper connection with the balance of nature. This can be done through meditating with crystals and engaging with their energy in order to center oneself.

The following crystals are connected to the root chakra, believed to be located between the perineum and the lower spine. Healing and engaging with the root chakra are meant to promote focus, stability, reliability, a sense of belonging, a sense of grounding, care, and drive. The root chakra connects to the depth of the Earth.

Here are the top five crystals to help ground oneself back to nature’s and Earth’s energy:

Tiger’s Eye

Tiger’s Eye helps clear negative energy and build self-confidence. During times of chaos, this crystal is beneficial in maintaining a strong and centered core, as well as shifting back focus to promote an active life.

This strong and safe foundation helps reconnect back to Earth’s energy, namely the light of the sun. Confidence from Tiger’s Eye relates back to warmth and radiance. Toxic energies are washed away, and one’s visions are able to come to fruition.

black tourmaline

Black Tourmaline also works as an anchoring stone, promoting protection to break through negative energies. Meditating and connecting with Black Tourmaline helps bring the user back to Earth, creating a solid and centered presence in the physical moment.

smoky quartz

Smoky Quartz is an important crystal for support during times of stress or anxiety. Creating a calming environment helps bring balance, focus, and stability into one’s life. The stone promotes emotional balance, protection from negative energies, and an increase in intuition. By increasing relaxation, the user is able to ground herself in nature.

obsidian

Obsidian has many healing properties that help to promote growth, protection, and connection to the root chakra. The stone also helps one’s physical being alongside the mental-emotional. Obsidian promotes a healthy flow throughout the physical body.

On the mental-emotional level, this stone helps wash away negative energy from both oneself and the external environment. Protection covers the user, promoting feelings of safety and stability.

jasper

Jasper promotes relaxation, calmness, and inner peace during meditation practices. During times of stress and anxiety, this stone works to bring clarity and focus. Grounding emotions from high intensity also helps spiritual growth. A calm and focused mind is also beneficial for decision-making and a clear thought process. 

As many of these stones promote relaxation and focus, these properties help connect one back to the physical reality. A sense of stability and safety with the physical environment – Earth itself – is important to engage with and develop. Developing this sense of balance is supported by nature, so it is important to engage with crystals connected deeply to the Earth and one’s root chakra. This healing and balancing energy from the root chakra travels up through the body to engulf oneself with this positive and grounding energy.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sydney Ciano

U Mass Amherst '25

Sydney is a student at UMass Amherst studying English and Sports Journalism looking to pursue a career in sideline sportscasting reporting. She has a strong interest in poetry writing, having published her first poetry book prior to college, and pop culture. Aside from writing, she enjoys sunsets, makeup, reading, and listening to a variety of music.