Dyeing Your Hair for the First Time: The Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Every year since ninth grade, I’ve considered the possibility of dyeing my hair a different color. At first, I couldn’t go further than struggling to choose a shade: should I dye my naturally brunette locks blonde, red, blue, or purple? Should it be an ombré style, or should I take the plunge and go for my whole head? Eventually, I happily settled with blonde ombré, my current hairstyle. At the time, though, I was really concerned about permanently damaging the hair I had so carefully grown my entire life and scorching it to a chemical crisp. Not to mention, I didn’t exactly want to spend the money, so I kept putting off making an appointment. The prospect of changing my look both excited me and scared me. 

Everyone around me was supportive, but in the end, the decision came down to me. I couldn’t make a choice if my life depended on it. However, this past July, I decided to just go for it, and I could not be happier with the results. Here’s a breakdown of the process:

1. You decide you need change in your life, and realize your hair is the place to make it.

Sure, you could get a tattoo or a piercing, or go on some fancy vacation, but why do that when all you really want is to look in the mirror and feel like you’ve renewed your look for the better? Besides, most body art is expensive and permanent, whereas dyeing your hair is a good middle ground. 

2. Next, you have to choose a color.

This is not as easy as it sounds: there are so many things to consider. I ended up picking blonde because I thought it fit my personal style the best, but let me tell you– I was right on the verge of going red. 

3. You procrastinate actually doing it, but continue to tell everyone you know that you plan on dyeing it soon.

No, I haven’t actually done it yet, but I’m definitely going to in the near future. Just wait and see, it’s going to look bomb. Out of curiosity, do you think blue or purple would suit me better?

4. Then you change the color you originally decided on. 

You know you said you were going with the blue, but those silver hairstyles you’ve been eyeing on Pinterest are SO cute. 

5. You set the appointment, then cancel it. 

It’s just such a big commitment! You need more time to make a final decision. Meanwhile, everyone around you is tired of hearing you talk about it. 

6. You finally decide on a date to really do it, and panic when the big day arrives. 

You’re super excited for this next chapter in your hair life, but you feel like a novice entering a strange new world. What happens if it looks terrible? What if it feels gross and brittle?

7. After all of that fuss, you can’t stop looking in the mirror and admiring your new look.

The only question you have is: why didn’t I do this sooner?

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst