This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I grew up thinking I was a cleanly person. Every night before bed I took a shower and washed my hair. It’s what my mom did, and no one ever told me otherwise. I thought this was the norm until I got to college. I would hear my hallmates say, “Oh my gosh I haven’t washed my hair in three days.” This was astonishing to me, how could you not shower in three days? Didn’t these girls feel slimy and smelly?

It turns out I was wrong in every way imaginable. The secret I have been missing out on for years is dry shampoo. This magical spray can extend your hair wash for days and days.

My hairdresser agreed that dry shampoo is the key to great hair. I showered and shampooed my hair every day and didn’t understand why it was always greasy. She told me that when I was scrubbing my hair every day with clarifying shampoos, I was washing away all of the natural oils that are meant to clear up all the grease. She also explained to me that this is why my hair wasn’t growing any longer than my shoulders.

With so many dry shampoos out on the market, I decided to test a few out. I started at Target and Sephora to grab a few products.

1. TRESemme Fresh Start Volumizing Shampoo

This was my least favorite brand; it felt sticky. It left my hair feeling stiff, almost like I lightly sprayed my hair with hairspray. TRESemme Fresh Start Voluminizing Dry Shampoo sells for $4.99 at Target.

2. Dove Invigorating Dry Shampoo

This dry shampoo worked very well. It didn’t leave as much of a powdery residue, as many other brands often do. It also has a nice sweet smell but isn’t overpowering. Dove Invigorating Dry Shampoo can be purchased at Target for $4.49.

3. Batiste Dry Shampoo

Batiste Dry Shampoo was my favorite out of the lower price brands. I tested out the “clean and classic” fragrance which smelled fresh and clean. Depending on what you like, there are other great scents to choose from. It leaves behind a little white residue, but goes away easily when fluffed or brushed out. It also works as a great base if you want to add texture for a braid or up-do. This product costs $5.99 at Target.

4. Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo

I do admit that this dry shampoo worked very well…I also admit that I used the tester bottle in Sephora without actually making the purchase. As a college student, a $23 dry shampoo just really isn’t in the budget right now. The downside of it is that its scent is very strong and seems to last for a long time. It reminded me of a mixture of flowers and chemicals, and that’s not something that you want to stick around all day long.

5. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo

This product was my favorite out of all five that I tested. It really does refresh your hair without weighing it down or making it feel like there is a ton of product in it. It doesn’t look dull or feel weighed down. It also has a fresh and light smell. While the large bottle is $22, I treated myself to the smaller bottle, which is $12. I am attempting to make it last as long as possible!

For me, the best dry shampoo was by Living Proof. However, as a college student I will be sticking to Batiste (which also works and smells great but is a third of the cost). 

Make your mornings easier with dry shampoo, Collegiettes!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Emma Crowley

U Mass Amherst

Emma Crowley is a Junior at UMass Amherst. She enjoys frozen yogurt, fashion blogs, the smell of fresh cut grass, and endlessly stalking One Direction 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst