Drinks to Put a Little Spring in Your Step

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring has officially sprung, meaning perfect weather for sitting outside and sipping a colorful cocktail. Make a toast to good friends and even better weather with these simple concoctions.

Emboldened Cherry Blossom
Mix 1.5 oz of Jalapeno infused tequila Blanco with 1.25 oz blood orange juice. Combine with 0.75 oz of Combier Rouge, 0.5 oz of lemon juice, 0.25 oz of Combier Liqueur d’Orange.  Shake these ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and pour over a tall glace. Add Brut Champagne to the glass and garnish with a strawberry flower. The sweet and spicy mix makes for an unusual but delicious springtime cocktail.

Springtime Martini
This drink is gin based combined with citrus notes light enough for spring, but strong enough to pack a punch of intense flavor.
The recipe calls for 2 oz of gin, 0.5 oz of orange juice, 0.5 oz of pineapple juice, 0.5 oz of limejuice, 0.5 oz of simple syrup, and 0.25 oz of Aperol (an Italian liqueur with a bitterness similar to that of grapefruit). Shake well in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and pour into chilled martini glasses. Garnish with a lime slice.

The Barfly
With mint in the mix, this drink almost doubles as a breath mint. To make the drink, there are two parts: one for the mint simple syrup, the other for the cocktail

• Stir 0.5 cups of sugar with 0.5 cups of water and 0.5 cups of mint leaves into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Let it boil for one minute while stirring. Once the sugar is dissolved, let it cool for 30 minutes. Pour through a fine sleeve and place it in the fridge.
  • For the cocktail, fill a shaker with ice and add 8 oz of orange juice, 2 oz of lemon juice, 1 oz Grenadine, 2 oz Tequila, 2 drops Bitters, 1 tablespoon Chambord Liqueur, and 2 tablespoons of the mint simple syrup.  Stir, and pour the drink into a tall glass. Garnish with 2 mint sprigs.

Strawberry Daiquiris
A classic and all-time favorite done in a healthier way.  The recipe calls for 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 0.25 cups fresh squeezed limejuice, 4.5 oz of white rum, 1 tablespoon of raw agave nectar, and 0.25 cups of ice.
Place all ingredients in a blender layering them in the order listed. Blend well and serve with a lime for garnish. Make it a virgin by holding the rum!

Celery Cup
In a mixing glass, combine 1” of English cucumber, 2” of celery stalk, 0.25 cups of cilantro, and 1 oz of lemon juice and make them into a pulp-like substance. Add 0.5 oz of Pimm’s, 0.75 oz of agave nectar, and 1.5 oz of Square One Cucumber Organic vodka. Cover with ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain over ice in a tall glass and garnish with celery. This drink is a refreshing twist on veggies!

Ready to let your inner mixologist out? Try one of these delicious recipes! Remember, for those of you not yet 21 or who don’t drink, you can still make these fun cocktails with your friends sans alcohol.

Sip smart collegiettes and cheers to spring time!

Sources:

About.com
tastykitchen.com