Don’t Break The Bank: Cheap and Free Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The winter time blues are upon us. Have you found your cuddle buddy for these cold months ahead yet? Do you want some date ideas to make the process of getting a perfect cuddle partner exponentially faster for all you Collegiettes? Then you’ve come to the right place. Here are some awesome cheap (or FREE) date ideas!

Let’s start with the cheap date ideas first:

1. Making a cozy dinner for two would be a fun way to find out what food your partner is interested in while also being able to enjoy each other’s company. You two could do the grocery shopping, the cooking, the eating, and the clean up together which gives a lot of time to talk and get to know each other.

2. Rent a movie! Make it a horror film or a chick flick and I promise you’ll start that cuddling with your significant other a lot faster.

3. Go out for a hot beverage to a chill place like Rao’s. The relaxed atmosphere mixed in with the beverage will make everything super cozy between you two.

Now onto my favorite types of dates, the FREE ones:

1. Take a drive out to somewhere you’ve never been before but have been dying to see. For example, some people might love the idea of horse farms (which is also a super easy find here in Western Massachusetts), take a ride out to one to just walk around and talk about everything you see. This will definitely give you fast insight to what your partner is interested in.

2. Go on a hike. There are so many trails around and the cool autumn air will leave both of you feeling awake and moving. Seeing Western Massachusetts from the top of a mountain at this time of year is always calming and very still. It will give both of you a sense of calm and will leave you feeling refreshed.

3. Take a simple walk through one of your neighborhoods or residential areas. If you’re not going to people watch then you’ll definitely want to talk about everything you’re seeing. I know I’m going to sound like a broken record but Western Massachusetts is definitely unique part of our state. Walking through on-and-off-campus residential areas will surely give you lots of conversational topics and will definitely leave you two with a couple good laughs.

These date ideas will keep you feeling calm and will definitely be easy on your wallet. You’ll learn a lot about your date and the amount of potential conversations waiting are endless!

Photo Sources

http://s120.photobucket.com/us…

http://www.amherstlincolnrealt…

http://fanumusic.com/wp-conten…

Sarah Freudson

U Mass Amherst

Hey everyone!My name is Sarah Freudson and I'm a junior studying Legal Studies and Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies at Umass Amherst! I am a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and am very passionate about philanthropy. I volunteer my time as an art assistant, spending time with the elderly and visiting the sick at hospitals.My one goal in life is to visit as many countries as possible.  I am Ukrainian and I go back to the homeland to visit family as much as I can!The most significant thing about me is my idolization of F. Scott Fitzgerald. His quote: "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had," literally dictates my life. It shows the importance of volunteering along with the realization of how lucky we all are for our given circumstances.  I'm the type of girl that looks at the glass half full, thats for sure!!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst