This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If there’s time in your busy day to take a break to rest and relax, and you’re looking for a something else to watch from your usual show like The Office, Gossip Girl, New Girl, Friends, and so on, then cozy up and grab your favorite snack to watch one of these documentaries now streaming on Netflix.

If you’re into something scary…

I recently just watched Conversations with A Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix and they are spooky! I definitely do not recommend that you watch them before you go to sleep, especially if you don’t want to have nightmares like I experienced. Anyways, the series is in 4 parts and each part is like any other T.V. episode (about an hour long). Ted Bundy, or Theodore Robert Bundy, was a serial killer, kidnapper, racist, a burglar, and a necrophile (ew!). The chilling series plays out a story of his past life before some of the incidents even happened. In my opinion, they focused way too much on his looks, but just watch it and see for yourself.

If you’re into something fun…

The Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened documentary is crazy and unfolds very quickly. It was intended to be a music festival, similar to the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, but in the Bahamas, and it was meant to promote the new Fyre music app. Well… it went all wrong, and even top models such as Bella Hadid, Kendall Jenner, and Hailey Bieber went to shoot a promotion video for the festival, which may cause them to go to court soon. It follows the creator of the festival, Billy McFarland, who was the “mastermind” of it. The documentary shows how it all went down. The documentary also includes video footage of the what the people who went to the festival had to say about it, and even the workers of the festival, too.

If you’re into catching up on celebrities…

Gaga: Five Foot Two. With all the hype around A Star Is Born and the song “Shallow” recently winning a Golden Globe Award of Best Original Song, this documentary is worth watching. It begins when Lady Gaga first finds out that she was going to be in the movie. It follows Gaga’s life through her downtime, her Superbowl performance, and what it’s like for her when she releases a new song. It’s something refreshing to watch, and also a good follow up to watch after A Star Is Born.

If you’re into health & body…

Watch the documentary called Take Your Pills. As a student in college it’s important to know what you’re putting in your body. We live in a “hypercompetitive” environment as the documentary mentions, where every person feels so many pressures from society, and this documentary helps you become aware of the unhealthy habits we can start as college students. It does a good job of making the educational documentary worth watching, with plenty of visuals and references to our modern culture.

Images: 1, 2

Lyla Hyman

U Mass Amherst '21

Lyla is a senior at UMass Amherst. She is studying both Communication and Journalism and is currently a Senior Editor, Multimedia Director, and Twitter Coordinator for HC at UMass Amherst. When she is not busy working, she spends her time writing, singing, reading new books, walking outside, and making matcha lattes. She was born and raised in Boston, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst