Do It FOR Yourself: Why Being Creative Is The Way To Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Do It Yourself (DIY) Costumes, or as I like to call it Do It For Yourself, are perfect for being creative. Let’s be honest, at some point in our lives we all have wished we were more creative. More creative in fashion, in hairstyles, or when it comes to what you’ll have for dinner that night. But of course we come up with the various excuses: being creative is too hard, and who is even original anymore?! Everyone has taken all the ideas! Blah, blah. So, we take the creative process and think about it like this:

Which is sometimes accurate, BUT Halloween is the perfect time to stop making excuses and get creative with DIY costumes! By creating a DIY costume you are doing yourself a favor! One, you are saving LOTS of money by not going to the nearest Halloween store where just about everything is over priced.

Two, you are sure to impress your friends and all the guys who are sick of seeing the typical slutty bunny. DIY costumes will not only make you feel proud of yourself come Halloween, but when someone compliments your outfit you can say confidently that it is your talent and your talent only! So collegiettes, let’s get creative!

Of course, creativity has to start from somewhere; I suggest a look on Pinterest.

Once you have found your idea, to Amazon.com you shall go! You can find ridiculously cheap supplies and accessories that will ship fast and will have you ready to go by Hallows’ Eve.

But, don’t waste all your time and money on Amazon, check out the nearest Michaels or Jo-Ann Fabrics near you! Fabric is just 50 cents a square! Do you realize all the outfits you can put together with some fabric and hot glue?! A ton!

But wait you still have one more stop! Check out the thrift stores, they will have plenty of what you’re looking for at the cheapest prices yet!

And you can’t go wrong with purchasing a tutu. A tutu adds a little glam to just about any costume, and you can hot glue gun anything onto it to avoid ruining something you want to use again. I bought my tutu for $1 on Amazon! Now that is a bargain.

Last thing (I promise!), get some face paint! Whatever you are planning to be, face paint will add a creative streak and look like you put lots of effort into your costume. And voila! You are a walking creative masterpiece!

Here are some ideas just in case your brilliant mind or even Pinterest failed you!

1. The Bat

What you will need:

• an umbrella
  • wire
  • an all black outfit (I suggest a cute black dress!)

2. The Loofa

I saw this costume last year and fell in love with it. So creative and too cute!

All you need is:

• Tulle (fabric found at Joanne Fabrics!)
  • White cord or rope. 

Pin the tulle to a dress you own already or a fabric dress you can easily make, pin the rope to the tulle and you are all ready to go!

3. The Day of the Dead Costume

If you want to get a bit spooky, and get really creative I would dive into this facepaint activity! For those of you who take Spanish, remember the holiday Day of the Dead? The Spanish honor their ancestors by wearing flowers and dressing like sugar skulls (what you see below). All you need is a black outfit with tons of flowers (Michaels has fake flowers for under $3!) and motivation to face paint!

4. The Piñata Costume

LOVE this costume! All you need are different colors of felt and a base fabric! Cut up the felt into little squares and pin to the base fabric. Get a party hat (or two), and go show off!

Get creative and have fun, Collegiettes!

Juliana Casella

U Mass Amherst

Juliana Casella is a Junior at University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is double majoring in Public Health and Psychology. She is currently involved in the Public Health Club as well as Autism Speaks. She plans to study abroad in Prague, Czech Republic in the Spring. Her passions are traveling, coffee and a good novel.