This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Fall semester is back, and that means football season is already upon us. For those who love to show off their school spirit, game day is the time to shine. However, in a sea of students wearing the same colors, it can be difficult to stand out in the crowd. Thanks to this easy tutorial, we have a quick, mess-free way for the crafty Collegiettes out there to spice up their favorite school spirit attire. 

Here’s what you’ll need:

Pictured above: College t-shirt, scissors, sharpie, ruler, black cord (2 yards), black trim with holes (2 yards), fabric glue, and a rotary punch

Step 1: Use the ruler and sharpie to trace a v-neck onto the shirt. Then, carefully cut out the triangle shape using your scissors.

Step 2: Measure the black trim against the triangle and cut the trim where it lines up with the top of the shirt. Repeat on the other side of the triangle.

Step 3: Use the fabric glue to attach the trim onto the shirt. Be careful! It dries very quickly.

Step 4: Use the rotary punch tool to poke holes through the shirt.

Step 5: Lace the black cord through the holes in the shirt, starting from the collar and working your way down to the bottom of the triangle cutout. Lace the cord in a criss-cross pattern, similar to the way you would lace up your shoes.

Step 6: Once you have finished lacing, turn the shirt inside out and double knot the cord inside the shirt in order to hide the knot.

Step 7: Use the scissors to cut the collar off the shirt, following the stitching around the collar.

Voila! You’re all done and ready to rock your DIY lace up top!

*All photos belong to the author

Julia Gordy

U Mass Amherst '19

Julia is a senior at the Isenberg School of Management at University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is pursuing a major in marketing with a strong focus on advertising. Some of her favorite things include photography, filmmaking, and long yoga sessions followed by even longer naps. Find her on Twitter and Instagram @juliagordy!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst