The Distracted Person’s Guide to Not Being So Distracted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Being distracted isn’t so bad sometimes, but it can get bad when you start to not know your boundaries and mismanage time (Note: this is also for lazy people and not in a bad way at all). I won’t even get to listing distractions because we all know they can be anything and absolutely everything. There are many things that can rectify this situation, some of them may work for you and some may not. Keep in mind, I have tried these myself, so it is Sidrat proven. Without further ado, let’s get to it!

Computer desktop and laptop on wooden stands on desk
Photo by Ken Tomita from Pexels

1. Post-its

Post-its are really fun. You can write helpful reminders to yourself of what you need to do throughout the day, or for things you realize don’t work for you and what you can do instead. For example, I realize that there are many mistakes that I make as a student, so I make a post-it to remind myself how I can do better, such as to always finish by the deadline and use Times New Roman font always.

post it wall of love
Kyle Glenn

2. Rearranging your schedule

Okay, so you have bad habits and a bad schedule that makes you feel unproductive and unmotivated. Change it around. How many hours of sleep do you need to focus? Factor that in. When do you have the most energy in the day? From there you can factor how much work can be done at what times and what times you need to rejuvenate and build back that energy. I feel the most energized in the morning from 7am-12pm. Afterwards there is a slight downhill in energy for me, so I recuperate with lunch, some me-time, and a walk around my complex. 

3. Rebuild Habits 

You have your pre-existing habit to distract yourself. Remove anything that distracts you, and if you’re thinking about it, rethink about the subject instead. Don’t think “oh I’ll just go on Youtube or Tiktok for five minutes,” because you know it’s not gonna go down that way. Just parameter your thoughts around the subject you are focusing on. Also having a clean space can always clear distracting thoughts.

Black girl at computer desk writing in journal write natural work corporate african
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels

4. Create a Sense of Urgency

You and your brain need to agree that your work should be given immediate attention. Have a clear schedule of what you need to do. If time constraints work for you, go for it. Think of it as something you are doing for yourself to feel accomplished and really feel good. Think to yourself this is for me, I am doing this to feel fulfilled and content. There is no better feeling than self satisfaction in finishing your list for the day. 

5. Keep Calm and Carry On

Stay positive throughout this. You can do it. Also, rewarding yourself for this mindset and for completing your goals is truly amazing. I tend to get myself some ice cream and a matcha latte after I get studying done. Desserts are really the key to happiness!

Sebastian Coman Photography via Unsplash

Recognize your hardwork, be proud of it. And last but not least, remember to be kind to yourself. Happy March!

Sidrat Siddiqui

U Mass Amherst '22

Sidrat Siddiqui is a senior studying the world of Chemistry. When she isn't studying, you will find her drinking a cuppa matcha, sleeping for inordinate amounts of time, and spending late nights reading books.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst