The Determination of Olympian Lindsey Vonn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When the Olympics roll around, icons are born. Not only do the athletes who have been training their entire lives count down the days until that sensational opening ceremony, but so do the millions of spectators. People from across the globe tune in to watch the dedication these athletes drip from their face, creating an authentic excitement for viewers. A genuine feeling that you won’t usually get from reality TV. Well, usually. 

This year, I think there’s an Olympian that should receive equal admiration despite her absence of competing in the 2014 Winter Olympic games. Lindsey Vonn.

Vonn is a gold medal alpine skier. She was the first American woman to take home this honor in the 2010 Winter Olympics held in Vancouver. On top of her gold medal she has a bronze, as well as numerous consecutive titles from the World Cup Championships and the Super G. 

I’m sure by now admiration is at least a semi-accurate description for how you view Ms. Vonn, but not the only reason why she is someone to look up to. Vonn in fact, made the decision of pulling herself out of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics due to a knee injury from the World Championships last February. Vonn planned to compete in the 2014 Olympic games after undergoing reconstructive knee surgery but reaggravated the injury during training this November. 

But just because Vonn can’t physically compete in her expected events doesn’t mean she can’t still be in the Olympic action. You can now spot Vonn and her long yellow locks as TODAY’s and NBC Sports’ latest correspondent. 

Instead of using her expert skills to guide her down a ski slope, she will use it to guide the millions of spectators looking for that inside perspective. Viewers will get her unique commentary, as an Olympian reporting on other Olympians from the opening cereomy all the way until the the closing ceremony. 

Yes, Vonn will be taking her talents in front of the camera without her skis, but the Olympics bring more to our world than entertainment TV. They bring role models, and athletes that all types of people can admire. Being injured didn’t deter her away from her love of the sport. She’s still just as close to the action, but in a different way. This type of perseverance is what separates athletes from Olympians.

Vonn also told TODAY’s in an interview that she’s “gonna be skiing next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.” If that doesn’t scream determination I don’t know what does. 

The all-American Olympian has clearly devoted, and continues to devote, her entire life to skiing. So who knows if she will be the next Katie Couric of reporting. She does however, have one definite characteristic going for her – a last name straight out of a Happy Madison production. Let’s see how long it takes before headlines read, “That Lindsey Vonn is one piece of ace.”

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst