The Definitive Ranking of Pizza on and Near UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then you’re probably guilty of eating a lot of pizza. Honestly, there are some weeks where I’ve had pizza for lunch or dinner every single day. I don’t know if I should be proud of this, but I think I’ve eaten enough pizza on and around the UMass Amherst campus to say which eateries offer the best and worst pizza. So, here is the definitive ranking of them:

Franklin PizzaFranklin Pizza easily claims the title of worst pizza on campus. Now, don’t get me wrong, there are some days where Frank’s pizza is actually pretty good. (I mean, it’s still pizza, after all!) But I just can’t forgive it for all of the times that it’s been undercooked, lacked sauce, and contained way too many tomato chunks. (Sorry, Franklin.)

Hampshire PizzaTo be fair, I haven’t actually eaten at Hamp in a while, so things could be different. But from what I remember of its pizza, it’s pretty similar to Frank’s: not totally bad, but not really anything special either.

Sweets and More Pizza BagelsIf you’re an Orchard Hill resident, you’re probably guilty of eating at Sweets and More for dinner most nights during the winter like I am. Their pizza bagels, though simple, are usually a lot better than Frank’s regular pizza. I’m not sure if it could completely be classified as pizza, but I think it’s still good enough to be included in this ranking.

Worcester PizzaI actually really like Worcester Pizza a lot; the crust is really good and the sauce/cheese ratio is nearly perfect. However, there are still usually too many tomato chunks for my liking and it can sometimes be undercooked, so it’s still not the best UMass has to offer.

Berkshire PizzaI have to admit, Berk’s only high up on this list because of its incredible garlic white pizza. If you haven’t tried it, I’d definitely recommend it. It’s essentially just cheese, garlic, and bread, but for some reason it’s super good. The rest of their pizza is pretty solid as well, but when I get Berk pizza, it’s pretty much exclusively the garlic white one.

Domino’s PizzaDomino’s is definitely one of those pizzas that you feel a little guilty about getting. It’s not the best quality (or very healthy), but its garlic crust and extra cheese are enough to keep reeling me in. Plus, they’re open really late and you can order pizza online, so it’s hard to say no.

Blue Wall PizzaFor me, Blue Wall’s Pizza is without a doubt the best pizza you can get on campus. It’s cooked well, has great toppings and tons of cheese, and each slice is huge, making it better quality than any other dining hall or eatery on campus.

Bruno’s PizzaMost people probably love Bruno’s for its calzones, but I think its pizza is really good as well, making it the runner up for this list. Its sauce/cheese ratio is perfect and is free of gross chunks of tomatoes. Overall, it just has a kind of quality that makes it stand out from any on-campus pizza.

Antonio’s PizzaYou were probably expecting this, but Antonio’s takes the crown for the best pizza near UMass. From its amazing quality, to its insane list of types of pizza you can get (like grilled veggie, beef taco, or avocado quesadilla), to its dollar cheese slices on Friday’s after midnight, a trip to Antonio’s is never disappointing. 

So, how did your favorite pizza rank? Is there anywhere I missed? Now that you’ve seen my list, feel free to go test this out and make your own! Have fun, fellow pizza obsessed Collegiettes, and happy eating!

I would quickly like to point out that on my quest to rank UMass’ pizza, I actually found a blog that’s written really detailed reviews of it. It’s cool to see other people so passionate about pizza! If you would like another perspective, you can check out their take here.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Rachel is an English major and a Senior at UMass Amherst, a student assistant at W.E.B. Dubois Library, an expert at procrastinating and tripping over stuff, and likes dinosaurs, tea, video games, and all things sparkly.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst