This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you caught the first, and perhaps, only presidential debate between former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump, you might be thinking that it contributed little to nothing to advance our knowledge about what each candidate will do if inaugurated into office.

Between Trump’s countless, useless interruptions and Biden’s famous exclamation, “just shut up man,” it was hard to take anything of substance away from this debate. However, there were some crucially important things said and actions taken that are also proven to be important. 

Joe Biden smiling at outdoor event
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr

Biden spoke directly to the people

Seldom did we see Biden have an actual conversation with Trump as his remarks were often short and lacking critical substance. However, Biden’s actions are notable. Most times when Biden tried to make a point, he turned directly to the camera and related to the experiences and needs of the American people. Biden attempted to be the voice of the middle class in this debate while Trump did nothing to further unify anyone that doesn’t already support him.

It’s not always illegal for politicians to lie

A lot of Trump’s comebacks were just simple phrases like “no”, “he’s lying”, and “wrong”. This reminds us to always conduct our own research after politicians make dramatic points. It’s easy to think that politicians always speak the truth because of the authority they portray; however, lies, or just not whole truths, are told on the debate stage all of the time. So, do your own research!

Joe Biden speaking in front of an American flag
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr

Taxes and why Biden’s plan is so important

Trump is not a president for the people. He is probably one of the furthest things from it. He has seen grand financial successes and attempts to use his lack of tax payments to show that his intelligence allows him to finesse the system.

Joe Biden grew up in Scranton, Pennsylvania in a blue-collar family. For those unfamiliar with the current tax and economic systems, the middle class is the largest socio-economic group in the country, therefore, those in the middle class fuel the economy the most, and the economy performs better when the middle class succeeds.

However, under Trump, the middle class is heavily taxed, which can hinder engagement in markets and the economy. Biden’s tax plan is to raise taxes only on households who make more than $400,000 a year, so that the economy can correct itself. Therefore those, like Trump, who have millions of dollars to spare, pay more than $750 taxes.

HCM Design

VOTE

I know that there are a fair amount of people who wish the democratic candidate was further left than Joe Biden; however, that should not be a reason to not vote in this election. Between the Republican supporting super PACs and the deep south, the Democratic party needs all the support it can get. So, please, participate in our democracy and make a plan to vote today. See this link for more information: https://vote.gov/ 

Sources: 1

Elizabeth Webler

U Mass Amherst '22

Elizabeth studies Philosophy and Political Media Communications at UMass Amherst. Her favorite topics to write about include politics, personal growth, and current events. She loves reading, watching SNL and exercising in her free time!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst