This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear UMass,

I love you. I love how at the end of every summer when I return to you, the sun is shining and the flowers are blooming. There is an electric buzz around campus. I love how beautiful your colors are when they change in the fall; there is something so whimsical about walking to class with brightly colored leaves falling all around you. Even in the darkest, coldest days of winter, you look picture-perfect with a fresh coat of snow. But spring may be my favorite, how one day everything just pops and there is color everywhere–from the green grass to the bright blue skies.

Many say that college will be the best four years of your life. While I’m pretty sure there will be some great years after I graduate, I can definitely say that my time with you has been incredible. From wandering around as a lost freshman who just wanted to fit in, all the way to senior year, unsure where my next steps will take me, your familiar grounds have given me a sense of comfort.

But like any relationship, we’ve had our ups and downs. Your constant frenzy of construction has proven to be disruptive and inconvenient, your DuBois wind tunnel has ruined many a good hair days, you no longer provide the magical Hamp burritos… the list goes on and on. I forgive you though, everyone makes mistakes.

On the other end of the spectrum, you’ve given me so much. Not only will I be leaving with a strong education, but also a group of incredible friendships that will last a lifetime. Memories filled with sunny spring days relaxing on OHill or Southwest beach, trips to Puffer’s Pond, weekends spent with friends, tailgating the football games, pictures with Sam the Minuteman, incredible Valley sunsets, walks into town, and so much more.

My time spent with you has significantly shaped who I am as a person. I look back and cannot believe how much I have changed since I first joined the UMass family. You’ve pushed me to grow and mature so that I’m ready to face the real world, but at the same time, acted as a safety net in my times of need. Over my college career, you have become my home, and I’ll be very sad when it comes time to leave you. That being said, I know that you’ve prepared me for any challenge I may face.

So thank you, UMass, for just being you.

I love you.

All photos courtesy of author

Jill Kuzeja

U Mass Amherst

UMass senior, equestrian, and lover of all things Disney.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst