Dating Rituals of the Awkward Girl: As Told by Zooey Deschanel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As an awkward girl, you know how weird you get when it comes to, well, just about everything.

You have never been cool, and you’re okay with that. It’s part of your charm. But as soon as anyone else comes into the picture, namely an attractive person you want to date or who wants to date you, your awkwardness comes out in full force.

You proceed to make things awkward in one of the following ways:

1. Talking too much, mostly about obscure things that the common person (i.e not awkward person) was not bargaining for when saying hello to you at Starbucks.

2. Opening your mouth and not having words come out because you are in too strong of disbelief to comprehend that someone is hitting on you. They will walk away, or ask if you’re alright. Try to squeak something out that sounds like a word.

3. Missing it completely. Chances are when someone tells you how they feel you will be too emotionally unresponsive due to said awkwardness to respond accordingly. [Insert random exclamation that will make everyone uncomfortable here].

4. Fight or Flight kicks in. Chances are you choose flight. You will use a completely ridiculous and transparent reason for why all of a sudden you need to get the *bleep* out of there.

Stranger things happen when YOU try and make the first move.

Yikes.

1. Preparing for a date gives you crippling anxiety as you think of all the things that can go wrong due to your awkwardness and lack of a filter. You start questioning why you did this to yourself.

2. This is probably because on the first date you disclose disturbing personal information without really thinking about the implications. Try to let them get to know you without thinking you need to seek professional help.

3. Things get even worse in the bedroom….

Wow.

But it’s okay.

You are quirky, original and beautiful.

You are who you are, and someone will love you for that. Let your freak flag fly.

HCXO!

Becky Jackson

U Mass Amherst

Becky Jackson is an Environmental Science major minoring in education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her favorite activities include being outdoors, hiking, hanging out on her farm at home, going to the beach,chilling by wood stoves in her jammies and working out. Her other passions include social justice and education, and she hopes to one day become a High School science teacher. She loves to laugh and sing occasionally whilst playing the guitar rather poorly. Writing is a big passion of hers and she is so excited to be controbuting to Her Campus UMass Chapter!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst