Confessions of an English Major: Why My Degree Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I truly do believe that every degree given out at UMass can be used to change someone’s life. This isn’t an article to disgrace anyone else’s hard work. Rather, I am trying to stand up for the Humanities and Fine Arts—and any degree that comes along with the HFA.

When I first decided to major in English, I was in high school. I was sixteen, and didn’t really know much about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Mostly, I knew that words spoke to me. I knew that I liked to read, and I knew that I was comfortable with writing. It made the most sense to me to major in something I loved.

Upon my acceptance to UMass Amherst, the congratulations began to flow in. However, with these warm wishes came the question, “What do you plan on studying?” I would always respond excitedly, “English!” I was shocked that immediately people said, “That is so wonderful that you want to be a teacher!” When I would explain that I did not want to teach, but rather wanted to work in publishing, the responses would vary. Sometimes it would just be a twisted face saying, “Oh…wow…” Or even, “Isn’t that a really competitive field?” I even once got, “Don’t you want to work in a field that gives back to the community in some way?” Even worse was, “You shouldn’t waste your undergrad like that.”

I am now a Junior in the English major at UMass Amherst, and as I have gone through the major—I can honestly say I do not understand why majoring in English gets so much flack. It has so many uses beyond the classroom or even a publishing house. Take a look at some of these places where you can use your major. 

In The Professional World: If you are planning on going into the world of business (anywhere), you have to know how to communicate effectively. If you do not know how to write a well-thought out letter, e-mail, or business proposal, you will not appear professional what-so-ever.

Writing is a key skill in today’s world, especially with how frequently we communicate via e-mail and text message. Grammatical slip-ups, spelling errors, and poor sentence structure will not be taken well. The truth is, if you can write effectively, you can do just about anything.

The “Well-Rounded” Factor: Alexander Joy, teacher of Comparative Literature 122 at UMass Amherst, said during class, “Humans are the only species in the world that can communicate with the dead.” It’s an interesting thought, really. When you read a book, you get an in-depth look at life in the author’s time. By being an English major, I have learned a great deal about history. Further, by being an English major I have learned more than I could possibly imagine about art and film.

My degree has made me more “well-rounded”, and able to connect the dots of our history as human beings. This can definitely be said for anyone in the Humanities and Fine Arts. Literature, film, art, and music are the pulse of human nature.

Thinking on Your Feet: Life has many challenges that need to be thought out immediately. The reasoning and quick-thinking skills you develop as an English major can help you function in these horrific situations. I have gotten a lot of flack about my lack of exams as an English major. However, when I do have an exam, it is often a “blue book” exam. A “blue book” exam means that you go into an exam where you are handed a tiny blue, paper notebook. If you are in HFA, you definitely know these devilish devices. The professor will write a prompt on the board, and you have to quickly write an essay based on the topic assigned to you. 

These are often timed. You hardly have time for an outline, or to carefully re-read the book. You have to think of an argument, and write to try and prove your point. There is no spellcheck, and no computers to look through “Spark Notes.” That’s the way life often is—you have to learn to think on your feet.

I don’t want it to appear that I am talking down to other majors. I know, personally, the idea of a multiple-choice exam sends me into a panic. And math? No, thank you. But that’s why I chose to be an English major—I didn’t like math or science. Why would I ever spend four years studying something I don’t love? Moreover, I don’t want to spend the rest of my life working in a field I don’t feel passionate about.

What it comes down to is this: do what you love. Everything else in your life depends on your own happiness. I have no interest in becoming a teacher, or working in a field of math or science. I want to be working with people to build the next generations of readers. My degree matters because it matters to me.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 34.

Annie Gravens

U Mass Amherst

Adelle is an English major at UMass Amherst. She's the co-captain of the UMass Colorguard, and a fitness fanatic.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst