neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Collegiette’s Guide To Finding a House: Fixer Upper or Just a Total Dump?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Finding a house for your junior or senior year of college can be almost as stressful as figuring out what to wear on the weekends. So many options, too many people to please, and sometimes the best items have already been worn in. Not to mention, the average time to start looking for a house is in the fall of the year prior to when you want to move in. Luckily, in many cases, there’s that one friend/roommate of the group who already has about eight realtors on speed dial. Now that you’ve got the process underway and you’ve started to look at houses- what exactly do you look for? Let’s face it, most houses rented to college students aren’t exactly five-stars; but how do you know which houses just need a bit of elbow grease and a throw pillow, and which ones are just totally unfixable?  Here is our Collegiette’s guide to finding your first college home that doesn’t require entering “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” before move-in day. Basically, you should look at this process logically. A “fixer-upper is a place that may not scream home when you walk in, but you know some tricks of the trade that will spruce the place up. A total dump on the other hand, is when you know the stained rugs and general “dirtiness” of the house is completely unfixable.  When improving a new place, it is important to keep in mind exactly how much money and time will need to go into this “project” you have agreed to take on. Then decide if the possible outcome is even worth all the effort to begin with. Good luck house hunters!

Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.