A Collegiette’s Guide to Enjoying the Spring at UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The forecast for this week has been beautiful and summer is swiftly approaching. With so much sun come so many different activity options. Despite the nice weather, there are some that prefer to stay out of the sun, not all of us tan! Whatever the case may be, there’s always someway to incorporate the nice weather into your day whether you’re inside, or out.

Outdoors:

Go outside! In many different locations across campus, from the Southwest Beach to the quads in Orchard Hill, there’s a place to set your towel down. Lay out and tan, read a book, listen to music, pack a picnic, or ideally: try and finish some work while soaking up the sun. An added bonus? You may even score a tan. Of course, when heading outside, always wear sunscreen.

Play some volleyball. There are volleyball courts behind Pierpont in Southwest and in Northeast too. Even if you aren’t very good, it’ll be fun to grab a bunch of your friends and play a friendly, fun game. Make it interesting with a win-lose deal!

Go into downtown Amherst with your friends. It’s fun and town is very close (about a 10 minute walk) but if you’re feeling lazy, buses run every 15 minutes. Grab that Starbucks you’ve been craving all day or try something new, like the bubble tea at LimeRed Teahouse on the corner. If you enjoy frozen yogurt, check out Go Berry next to the Amherst Cinema.

Barbeque. Just like with the volleyball nets, there are many grills outside. If you don’t want to use those, bring your own!
It’s like tailgating in the springtime. Everyone loves a good BBQ; they always include good food and good company.

Indoors:

Head to the Student Union. With all of the different eating and dining choices, you can’t go wrong. Plus, it’s air-conditioned, allowing for a relaxing atmosphere to study in if you find yourself trudging through that last bit of work for the year.

Go to the movies. Usually, it’s said to go to the movies on a rainy day, but if you want entertainment and a lot of air-conditioned power, head to the theaters.

Go shopping. You can buy some light spring pieces to add to your wardrobe for the new season. If you’re running low on cash, window-shopping is always fun with your friends. You can even plan that next outfit you’ll
wear out over the weekend.

Whatever your preference, UMass and downtown Amherst have great ways to utilize this beautiful weather. Go out and relax! It’s much needed and deserved after a long semester.