Collegiette™ Couture: Hot Product Alert!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Remember the good old days of summer camp?  You’d meet new friends and do EVERYTHING together; commemorating the summer with the exchange of friendship bracelets that you so carefully made in Arts & Crafts. Well, bring on the nostalgia because jewelry designers are bringing us back to camp this spring making simplistic, string bracelets THE thing to rock as temperatures rise.

To my delight, a company that makes these bracelets was called to my attention – Pura Vida Bracelets. “Pura Vida” means “pure life” in Spanish. They’re all about celebrating life, enjoying every day completely, and being grateful for the lives we lead.

The History  
Based in California, Pura Vida Bracelets is run by two friends who were inspired to start the business following a trip to Costa Rica after graduating college. During their tropical vacation they met a native named Jorge peddling bracelets around the small village they were visiting. The bracelets – raw, simple and very colorful – defined their experience in Costa Rica. Wishing to share these with their families and friends, the girls asked Jorge if he would make 400 bracelets to take back home. He happily did so, and the three formed a fast friendship – and an unexpected business.

Other Cool Facts
This company is so cool! As well as having an interesting history, here is some more info you should know about Pura Vida Bracelets:

·      They truly embody their mission by being philanthropic; donating a portion of their proceeds to the Surfrider Organization, a group dedicated to protecting and preserving beaches and oceans globally.

·      No two bracelets are the same; each one has their own unique color and bead combination.

·      These are a favorite among the Victoria’s Secret Angels!

·      Presently, Pura Vida bracelets are sold in hundreds of boutiques and surf shops as well as 50 + college campuses nationwide- including UMass Amherst!

So, Where Can I Get Mine?

We UMass Amherst gals are just so lucky because there are two lovely sales representatives for Pura Vida Bracelets right on campus! You can contact either Priscilla Lee or Alex Newman. The bracelets retail for $5 each and are perfect to give to your bestie, or…yourself!

I have a few of these and I absolutely ADORE them! Easily adjustable, they’re fit perfectly to any wrist, making them really comfortable. I love their versatility! You can wear several at a time with other bangles, or, just rock one on it’s own. Appropriate for both day and night, they give any outfit a carefree, beachy vibe.

Pura Vida Campus Representatives:

Priscilla Lee (203) 273-4356

Alex Newman (858) 342-0831

Make sure to check out the website and LIKE them on Facebook!

Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.