This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I consider myself an iced coffee aficionado, and I’m always down for a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel. My love for this morning meal has led me to discovering some pretty great cafes and coffee shops that I love sharing with others. In this article, I’m gonna be showing you my personal favorite coffee shops in New England!

Open sign
Photo by Mike Petrucci from Unsplash

Brew’d Awakening Coffeehaus- Lowell, MA

Since Lowell is my hometown, I had to put this one first. With it being only a five minute walk from my old high school, I’ve gone here more times than I can count. Brew’d Awakening is well decorated by local artists, and it’s super chill and comfy. I love the sense of community here, there is always someone I know. There are a ton of breakfast, lunch, and dessert options, but the star of the show here is the coffee. Even the most pretentious coffee drinkers can appreciate their fair trade blends. They also offer alcoholic beverages, making it a very unique coffee shop experience. If you ever find yourself here, make sure to check out the bathroom. ;)

Dave’s Coffee- Charlestown, RI

Dave’s is a small chain with a few shops in Rhode Island. Although it is a larger business, it doesn’t act like one. The cafe is so homey and comfortable that it felt like I was drinking a homemade coffee in a friends’ house. The menu is smaller but be assured by the fact that whatever you get is going to be great. I’m not in Rhode Island often, but when I go, I’m sure to stop by here. The first time I had their coffee I loved it so much I bought a t-shirt! There’s also a boutique connected to the Charlestown location. I couldn’t think of a more perfect way to spend a morning. 

St. Joe’s Coffee- York, ME

I’ve only been to St. Joe’s once, but I was so impressed that I had to include it in this article. I will say confidently that I had the best iced caramel macchiato I’ve had in my life here, and one of the best breakfast sandwiches. SO good. The shop is a small hole in the wall that may go unnoticed by some – I had driven past it many times before trying – but if you’re ever in the area, it’s a need. Stop by before heading down to the beach!!

Frobie’s Cafe- Dracut, MA

Out of all the cafes listed, I’m at Frobie’s the most often. I’ve made so many memories with friends and family here, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I love seeing how successful a small business like Frobie’s can become, even in a small town! There are so many different food and drink options (including juices and smoothie bowls!), and you can even stop by in the afternoon for ice cream and frappes. The bagels are some of the best in the area, so if you have a chance to try them, I would 100% recommend. It’s a great space with indoor and outdoor seating, and the playlist is always just what I want to hear. Whether you go alone or with friends, I guarantee you will enjoy yourself :)

Brewed Awakening’s- Wells, ME

No, I’m not repeating myself right now. Although the names are similar, this shop has a totally different (but still amazing) vibe compared to Brew’d in Lowell. If I had to describe Brewed Awakening’s in one word, it would be quaint. The shop is a baby blue farmhouse, with a matching vintage truck parked next to it. There are bubble machines, chalkboard tables, chickens, goats, and a garden. It’s pretty great. The food is super fresh (note the chickens and the garden) and there are a ton of different coffee options to try. If you need me, I’ll be over by the goats!

Trying new coffee shops is always a great way to spend time with friends, family, and even yourself. It’s also especially important to support these smaller businesses. Hopefully, this list helps you discover a new spot, or puts a spotlight on an old favorite! Enjoy your coffee :)

New York Coffee Shop
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus

Brynn Geary

U Mass Amherst '24

Brynn is a senior and a communication and sociology major at UMass Amherst. Aside from writing, Brynn spends most of her time dancing, going to concerts and searching for the perfect iced oat milk latte.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst