Cleaning Your Closet During Quarantine? Use These Apps to Make Some Extra Cash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Many of us are doing a lot of spring cleaning throughout this quarantine, but did you know you could possibly get paid for it? I’ve been using apps like Poshmark and Mercari to sell gently used clothes and other items for years when cleaning around my house. Just this week alone I made over $80 cleaning my closet! This is the perfect opportunity for you to do the same to make some extra cash to spend once we can all head out again! Follow these steps and you’ll be making money in no time!

Download Some Apps

Starting off is simple, just download some apps based on what you want to sell! Both apps I mentioned I like for different reasons. Poshmark, for example, is more of a shopping community, based around clothing and home items. Mercari, on the other hand, is more like eBay, where you can list nearly anything and everything! I would recommend listing items on both, however, because you can get double the exposure!

You can also use my referal links if you want when you download to get $10 to spend on each app (use code simplyjulia_ when signing up for Poshmark and this link for Mercari)

Clean Your Closet

Once you download everything, it’s time to clean out your closet. When I did this with mine, I started with my winter clothes since those were the ones I had been wearing most recently. If I hadn’t worn them at all, I took them off the rack and placed them in a pile. I also did a similar thing with my spring and summer clothes, thinking about what I realistically would probably end up wearing based on what’s on-trend right now. If I didn’t picture myself in it, I would also toss it in the pile.

Additionally, you can also do a similar thing if you are cleaning out your room or an attic. I’ve sold lots of old toys and knick knacks on these apps too so don’t count them out!

Organize What to Sell and What to Donate

Next, look through the pile to see what you think would sell. If some of the items are name brands (PINK, American Eagle, etc.) those usually sell pretty well since they are reputable. However, if the brand isn’t as well known, it may not sell quickly, especially if the item also isn’t on-trend. For this reason, it might be better to donate those things instead of listing them. However, most places that take donations are currently closed, so you might as well list them and see if anyone is interested! 

Take Some Pictures and List Your Items

After organizing everything, you can start to list your items! Taking good pictures is the most important part. I recommend taking them in daylight by laying them down on a solid colored surface, like a table or a piece of posterboard on the floor. Alternatively, you could also hang clothes against a wall on a hanger! 

Once you have done that, you have to start crafting your descriptions for each listing. Make sure to add in relevant details, like if the item has any defects, and also put in keywords that people would likely search for.

The app will then have you add in a few more details, and before you know it your item will be up for everyone to see!

Sell and Ship

Trust me, you’ll be surprised how quickly people will start purchasing your items! When you make a sale, it’s important to ship it out as soon as possible. It’s also nice to write your buyer a handwritten note to say thank you!

Both apps do all the shipping work for you by giving you premade labels from USPS, so all you have to do is put it on an envelope or box and bring it to the post office.

Don’t want to go to the post office? No worries USPS has a package pick up service so your mail carrier can pick up packages when they usually deliver your mail. It’s totally contactless and so convenient! 

Watch the Money Pour In

When your buyer receives your item and reviews it, then you get paid. It’s really that easy! You can direct deposit the funds into your bank account or leave your balance in there to spend on other items. Either way, you’ll surely be celebrating on your accomplishment!

I hope this was helpful to see how easy it is to sell your gently used clothes and items online during this time! Happy cleaning and selling! ♡

Julia graduated from UMass with a degree in Marketing from the Isenberg School of Management and loves writing articles about lifestyle, entertainment, beauty, and fashion!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst