To the class of 2021: It’s okay to mourn what could have been

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

To the class of 2021:

I know you’re feeling a lot. 

It goes without saying that this year has been extremely dark. The repercussions of COVID-19 have been hard for everyone. There’s something about being a college student during a pandemic that hurts a little more. We are painfully aware that we’ve lost part of an experience that so many others got to have… and it’s one we’ll never get back. It isn’t fair. 

We’ve made friendships and connections over the past few years. A lot of us finally felt like we were happy and had found our place, only for it to be ripped away from us. 

We are mourning what could have been — one of the best years of our lives. 

Original Illustration by Sketchify in Canva
It was heart wrenching to watch the class of 2020 lose their graduation. I remember feeling so sad and heart-broken for my peers who wouldn’t get to have the celebration they so badly deserved.  

Sitting here, almost a whole year later, it feels different. I’m experiencing less of a feeling of sadness, and more of a sense of intense anger. I’ve heard from friends at other schools who have already watched their graduation get canceled. My university has yet to announce the status of our graduation, but my hope is not high. We need to stay safe, and canceling large events is certainly in the best interest of public safety.

We shouldn’t be here. 

COVID-19 swab test illustration
Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash
It’s okay to mourn everything that should come with graduating from college… what could have been a carefree celebration of the hard work we’ve put in for the past 4 years. I am left to wonder what could have happened if the ignorant few (thousand) Americans who continue to prioritize their own wishes and desires over the wellbeing of others, stepped up. 

We keep hearing that we are the ones who will show incredible resilience as we enter the workforce, that we have new skills and an unparalleled ability to adapt to the new challenges of being alive. 

This is true. But that doesn’t mean it’s fair. 

We, the class of 2021, deserve to grieve. We do not have to keep looking on the bright side. This has been, and continues to be, a nightmare. We keep waking up, doing our part to keep ourselves and our communities safe, and it doesn’t seem to be enough. 

Let yourself feel the anger, sadness, and pain we’ve been taught to suppress. It is possible to feel both thankful for what we have, and heartbroken about what should have been. Grieving is cathartic. It is an integral part of being alive. It does not indicate selfishness. It does not make you a bad person. 

We will get through this together. Remember: we can do hard things.

Her Campus Media

Sarah Dwyer

U Mass Amherst '21

Sarah is a psychology and English double major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and is hoping to become an English teacher. Sarah is a writer, a runner, and a registered yoga teacher. On campus Sarah is a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, a member of the UMass chapter of CHAARG, writes articles for the UMass chapter of Hercampus, and teaches yoga classes at the campus recreation center. Look out for Sarah’s posts on mental health, fitness, study abroad, and all things wellness.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst