Campus Cutie: Meet Jacklyn Teebagy ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Meet Jaklyn Teebagy, or Jackie as she prefers to be called. A junior at UMass Amherst, Jackie is a transfer student from the University of New England in Biddeford, Maine. Finding her home at UMass has led her to work with a service dog organization and train her own service dog puppy, which is an experience she hopes to use later in her career helping individuals with disabilities regain their independence

Her Campus UMass Amherst: What is your major and what brought you to UMass?

Jackie Teebagy: I am double majoring in psychology and BDIC for Animal Assisted Therapy. I came to UMass because it is the flagship campus of Massachusetts state universities. I am getting the best education at an affordable price. UMass Amherst’s large size also provides a neverending amount of opportunities with a variety of classes, clubs, and connections that can be made

HC: You work with the Diggity Dogs Service Dog program at UMass. Could you talk about your involvement with the program and why you joined?

JT: I began working with Diggity Dogs over the summer because it applied to both of my majors. In the fall I officially began as a psychology intern working with clients that applied for service dogs. I am also a full-time foster and was assigned my own dog for service training, whose name is Jake. With Diggity Dogs I have met other students, advisors, and faculty that share a love for animals and a passion for helping people.

HC: What has been the most challenging part of training a service dog at UMass?

JT: The most challenging part of training service dogs on the UMass campus is that unfortunately not everybody is aware of how to interact with service dogs, which a lot of the trainers like to refer to as “service dog etiquette.” Although most of our dogs’ vests state something along the lines of “do not pet” or “do not distract” to prevent other students or faculty from distracting and touching our dogs, sometimes these measures do not work. All of the members of Diggity Dogs are trying to spread the word on how to properly interact with, or ignore, our dogs so they can focus on training in social settings.

HC: What is something you have learned from fostering a service dog?

JT: Some things that I’ve learned from fostering a service dog are responsibility, time management, and patience. I’ve applied lessons I’ve learned from fostering to all other aspects of my life as well, which has made all the difference as a college student.

HC: Are you involved with any other student groups at UMass or at your previous school?

JT: At my previous school, I was a part of the Animal Behavior club, the Psychology club, and was a member of the Women’s Club Rugby Tea

HC: What is one quote you try to live by?

JT: “Don’t limit your challenges, challenge your limits.”

HC: Finally, do you have any advice for other transfer students?

JT: Don’t be afraid to try new things and meet new people. It can be intimidating since UMass is such a big school, but at the end of the day everybody is trying to find people that share the same interests, whether you’re in the same major or have the same hobbies outside of class! Making friends and meeting people is not as difficult as it seems

Find out more about Diggity Dogs Service Dogs here.

Images courtesy of Jackie Teebagy

Taylor White

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Amherst '18 I Secretary of Her Campus UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst