Campus Cutie: Kat Kent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Campus Cutie: Kat Kent 

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Hometown: Falmouth, MA

Major: Political Science and Economics

Current Residence: North Apartments

Relationship Status: Single

Sign: Libra

From left to right: Kleo Jankulla, Rachel Tripp, and Kat Kent.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

Kat: I’m part of Alpha Phi Omega- a co-ed community service fraternity on campus that has participated in Boston Marathon, Relay for Life, and various local organizations such as Boys and Girls club and 5K’s. APO was the first club I joined after transferring to UMass when I didn’t have any friends yet and just the fact that they are always excited to make new friends made it fun. I haven’t been active for the last semester, but the ability to walk into the office any time and meet the new pledges with all their enthusiasm and jokes always makes my day better. I also joined The Daily Collegian as a sports writer for a bit- it was a fun gig but I wanted a closer group of friends to make from a club. I tried a lot of clubs when I first joined UMass; I tried History Club, Society of Physics Students (before I realized I wasn’t cut out to be a physicist), and I just joined Undergrad Econ Club. I’ve also been with Her Campus now and it’s definitely my creative writing outlet. Mostly I just consider myself a Renaissance woman cause I’m interested in learning everything but I can lose interest quickly.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

Kat: I’m a big fan of exploring local gems; I volunteer at Freedom Cafe, I’ve been to the Quabbin Reservoir, Montague Book Mill, The Peace Pagoda in Leverett, a Camping Reservation in Westfield,  Apple Picking at Cold Springs Orchard, The Rail Trail in Northampton/Amherst area, Yankee Candle during Christmas in Deerfield, and hiking Mount Sugarloaf in Sunderland. Hobbies for me can be as simple as watching Netflix or going to see a different part of Western Mass. 

Kat Kent and Kristen Mouris.

HC: What is your dream job?

Kat: Anything that will allow me to drink margaritas on my yacht in the Mediterranean while playing with puppies by the time I’m 25. Although before that glorious stage of my life, I’d like to go into advocacy groups in Washington D.C that deals with human rights such as poverty and global hunger. Also crucial matters such as education and sexual violence. I’ve been considering looking into getting my law degree so that I can work with the legal proceedings of these issues on an international scale, but that’s a while down the road.

HC: What do you think is your best trait (personality and physically)?

Kat: Personality-wise I think my best trait is my humor. I feel like the best comparison to my humor is April from Parks and Rec who is often just funny because she’s blunt. Physically I really enjoy the body shape I have- it’s very booty-centric. So you can imagine my excitement now that music caters to my body image as sexy and suddenly my curves are unique and beautiful. 

HC: What’s the ideal Kat date?

Kat: Eating cheesy chowder fries on a boat in international waters and still playing with puppies. But if I had to stick to Amherst I’d guess probably going for a walk on a trail in the woods in a total non-murdery way. Then probably grab Antonio’s because the choices of so many toppings.

Free Starbucks.

HC: Celebrity crush?

Kat: BRAD PITT. I saw the Mr. & Mrs. Smith movie poster as a teenager and I think it fundamentally changed me as a person. Mix that with Fight Club Brad Pitt and I’m just done.

HC: What is your most embarrassing moment?

Kat: The first year I transferred to UMass, I went to an off campus party at my friends house and spent the night so that I wouldn’t have to walk all the way back to Sylvan. Around 10am on a Saturday I was walking back and was really craving an omelet. I figured since it was 10am, I could run into Frank DC and eat a lot of eggs and home fries before continuing to Sylvan and grabbing a shower without anyone seeing me. Frank DC was packed and it took me about 3 seconds to realize I had walked into a DC during parents weekend. I still grabbed a plate of eggs before leaving.

HC: What is the number one item on your UMass bucket list?

Kat: Releasing my lobster brethren back into the campus pond to witness the final battle of the UMass Squirrels vs. Hawks vs. Ducks vs. Lobsters. 

HC: Where would you most likely be spotted on campus?

Kat: APO office or Machmer where 90% of my classes are. 

All photos courtesy of Kat Kent. 

Kristen Mouris

U Mass Amherst

Kristen Mouris is currently a senior English major and Campus Correspondent at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is also serving as Associate Editor of English Society's literary journal, Jabberwocky. She is originally from Falmouth, MA. Her interests include hunting for new music, writing, and reading movie trivia.