This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Name: James Palmier

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Wellesley, MA

Major: Dual Degree in Business Management and Environmental Science

Occupation: Bus Driver On Campus

Relationship Status: Single

Sign: Libra

HC UMass: What are some things you do around campus? 

JP: Well aside from working, I spend a lot of time focusing on my studies. Last year, I was part of the UMass Green Building Counsel, but this year I am looking to do something else in the environmental field. I also enjoy conducting research in the environmental field. I operate my own website that is dedicated to biofuel research and I also enjoy blogging. I am still looking for a club that really excites me.

HC UMass: What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

JP: I love going for walks and hikes, I am just a very active person. I always think, ‘Like mind, like body.’ I also love going out with friends for coffee or shopping at cute shops nearby, just something that is laid back. I think the area’s farmer markets and festivals are great too. The pace of life is so much different out here, and I try to enjoy that as much as possible.

HC UMass: How did your love for the environment begin?

JP: I’ve always enjoyed being outdoors. As a kid I grew up on the ocean, so for years I spent much of my time at the beach. This initially sparked my interest in the ecosystems around me. I also just love animals and nature.

HC UMass: And when did you realize that you wanted to make a difference?  

JP: I always think back to the time when I climbed Mt. Vesuvius. I looked down at the city below, and noticed the thick layer of smog above the city. It looked like there was just dirt floating through the air. It looked awful, and it is a shame because it causes a lot of medical problems for people also. At first, it made me think about working in the medical field, because I was thinking about health and nutrition. But then I realized that without the environment, there is no basis for our well being. I knew that I wanted to be someone who worked for the well being of the planet as a whole.

HC UMass: Do you prefer the city or countryside?

JP: Don’t get me wrong, I love the surroundings here, but I am definitely a city slicker! I will be able to flourish in a large city more so than if I were to stay in a suburban area. My future plans almost require me to begin my journey in the city, so that I can network and have that constant stimulation and encouragement. Diversity also makes the city come alive.

HC UMass: Starbucks or Dunkin?

JP: Starbucks… Hands down!!! I love the atmosphere, and personally, I think their coffee is just a lot more appetizing.

HC UMass: What would you say is your best trait?

JP: I am a just a very open, and outgoing person. I like that I am not afraid to make conversation with anyone, I really try not to judge people. I feel like sometimes people don’t always have that same courtesy.

HC UMass: …And physically?

JP: Physically?! I don’t boast about myself at all usually! If I had to pick, I would say my sense of style. Fashion is important, It empowers me! Now that I think about it, I also love my eyes.

HC UMass: What are some of your plans for the future?

JP: Long term, I am definitely looking into developing an alternative world. I want to make a difference and work with other people who are just as passionate as I am about innovation and the environment.

HC UMass: Have you put any of these plans into motion?

JP: Well, my car actually runs on biodiesel. I have done so much research, and spoke with many brilliant individuals online, and I decided to switch over to biodiesel as an alternative energy. I am making it a mission now to avoid going to the gas station, I haven’t gone in the last three to four weeks. The fuel that I put in my car is actually used cooking oil from a Mexican restaurant near me. So, even though it is not the most creative thing, it is a really great concept, and a step in the right direction. I am essentially giving this used oil a second life, without being wasteful.

HC UMass: Who is your Celebrity Crush?

JP: Colton Haynes definitely. The perfect mix of good looks and charm.

HC UMass: What do you look for in a significant other?

JP: Definitely someone who is outgoing, and not afraid to speak their mind. Honesty, integrity, and having the courage to be yourself are three things that are very important to me. Also, they have to be able to hold an intelligent conversation.

HC UMass: What is your ideal date?

JP: Fall is a great time of year here. Walking around town, maybe going on a hike, seeing the foliage, and apple picking. We could hit up a Starbucks! We’d go to Northampton and take in the sites. I live for good restaurants, so we would have to eat somewhere adventurous for dinner.

Photos courtesy of Patty Camerota

Patricia Camerota

U Mass Amherst

Patricia is a Sophomore Communications Major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Patricia has a strong passion for writing, eating, painting, and playing with her dog. She wishes to pursue a career in Public Relations.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst