Campus Celebrity: Jessica Capri (Homecoming Queen Nominee 2013)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Meet, Jessica Capri a nominee for 2013 Homecoming Queen! Prepare to vote for your King and Queen starting October 15th.

Alexa: What are you involved in at UMass?

Jessica: I am involved in quite a few things at UMass. A few of my involvements include: President of Active Minds, President of the Biological Student Association, Founder of the Vision Care Club, and Secretary of the Pre-Medical Society. I am also a Research Assistant, Resident Assistant, Campus Tour Guide, Peer Health Educator, and Co-Manager of a student-run business (Campus Design and Copy).

Alexa: Why do you think you would be a good representative of UMass?

Jessica: I came to UMass all the way from South Carolina. Coming to Massachusetts to attend school was a big change but I am extremely happy with my choice. I have been given many opportunities at UMass that I would not be able to get at any other school. I would like to share my love for this university when talking to alumni and prospective students. I want to be a good role model, both inside and outside of the classroom and communicate my advice to others.

Alexa: What is your favorite UMass memory? 

Jessica: I loved Summer New Student Orientation! It was the first time I had ever been to UMass and it made me super excited to go to college. I thought the campus was beautiful and met a lot of nice people while enjoying different activities. By the end I was more than ready to come back in the Fall and I was filled with school spirit.

Alexa: What’s your favorite spot at UMass?

Jessica: One of my favorite spots at UMass is Campus Design and Copy. This student-run business is colorful and has a great atmosphere. Because I work there I have access to the store after hours and it is a great place to study and hang out. It is a comfortable setting where I can really unwind.

Alexa: What is the most useful thing you have learned at UMass (in or outside of the classroom)?

Jessica: Don’t be afraid to talk to people. I have learned a lot about making connections since I have been here. I have learned a lot about myself through my experiences with others and the connections I make. I have also been able to explore my interest through different activities I am involved in.

Alexa: What is your favorite activity during UMass Homecoming week and why? 

Jessica: My favorite activity is the UMass Homecoming hockey game. Hockey games are always a great example of the school spirit UMass has. They are perfect opportunities to spend time with friends and share school pride. The Homecoming game is especially fun because the band is there and Homecoming Court is announced and there is a lot more going on.

Alexa: If you were to be crowned UMass Homecoming Queen 2013 what would your reaction be?

Jessica: I would most likely be surprised at first and then very excited. UMass is such a large school that it would be shocking to be voted to win Homecoming Queen but it would also be a great honor.

Alexa: If you could give one piece of advice to UMass underclassmen that are aspiring kings and queens, what would it be?

Jessica: Don’t be afraid to go for it! Getting involved is one keys to college and being a part of Homecoming Court is an exciting experience. You will be able to learn about yourself and show pride in your university. Get involved and make some great connections. 

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.