Campus Celebrity: (Executive Director of UPC)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This week I spoke with the Executive Director of University Programming Council, Devin Basile. Unfortunately, he refused to spill the secret everyone is dying to know: Who is performing at Spring Concert this year? Guess we’ll just have to wait it out with everyone else, sorry Collegiettes!

Name: Devin Basile

Year: 2015

Age: 21

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Hometown: Springfield, MA

Alexa: What is University Programming Council?

Devin: I’ll try not to recite our constitution…The University Programming Council (UPC) is one of the largest student groups on campus. We plan events for the campus community from our weekly movie screenings to Spring Concert. Our group consists of a general body, event coordinators, and an executive board. Our event coordinators are the members who plan event concepts and execute events with help from the general body. Our executive board oversees the group’s budget, marketing, and administrative needs.

Alexa: What is your role in UPC?

Devin: Executive Director, which means I manage the overall direction of the group while supporting our event coordinators execute their events successfully. I am also working closely with our executive board on the planning of this year’s Spring Concert.

Alexa: What kinds of events does UPC organize?

Devin: We plan a wide range of events. We are most known for putting on Spring Concert, and if you have been on a tour the guides will be sure to let you know that UPC shows the late night movies on Friday and Sunday in the Cape Cod Lounge. But we do a lot more than that! We were very busy during homecoming this year for example. We had a parade that went into town to build spirit and create a positive relationship with the town and UMass. Laverne Cox of Orange is the New Black was the homecoming speaker and AER played a concert in the Student Union Ballroom. We are also in the process of planning our annual end of year festival “The Big Chill”. We are especially excited for The Big Chill this year because of some excited changes that are in the works. Many of our event coordinators are collaborating to turn the event into an all day music and arts festival featuring local and national talent in celebration of the final day of classes.

Alexa: What is your favorite part about being in UPC?

Devin: Being a part of such a large organization allows you to meet people from many different backgrounds. We are truly a multidisciplinary team and the experience one gains within UPC goes beyond what we learn in the classroom. We also have a lot of fun!

Alexa: How did you become involved?

Devin: I have always been interested in concert production. In high school I ran my own production company promoting local shows. I would rent out different venues in Western Mass and fill the bill with local music groups. I would run the sound while my dad collected tickets and sold energy drinks. I wanted to carry over my interest into college and UPC was a natural fit. When searching Campus Pulse during the summer leading up to my freshman year I came across the UPC page and instantly knew I wanted to join. I was able to connect with a lot of the members and I thought it was really cool that our president at the time was an engineer like myself.

Alexa: What steps did you take to become Executive Director?

Devin: Starting out as a GB member I made sure I added value by helping beyond basic member requirements. Though my initial interest lied in concert production I really liked everything the group had to offer. I made sure that my voice was heard on issues pertaining to the betterment of the group and I found friends in a lot of the older members. When I became an Event Coordinator my sophomore year all of the members on our executive board were seniors. I knew someone needed to step up so I started shadowing our Executive Director last year leading to me running for the position last spring. This is the first time in UPC’s history that we have had a completely new EBoard. There was a very steep learning curve in the beginning, but think we are doing a great job.  

Alexa: How do you think being apart of UPC will help you with your future career?

Devin: Having the opportunity to meet and work with many people throughout campus has been truly amazing. I have made lifelong friends who I have laughed and learned with over the past three years. I see my experience with UPC helping the transition into a professional setting as an Engineer much easier. Our group is unique because we are very much students doing professional work. Event planning is very multifaceted. Event coordinators are tasked with interpreting and executing contracts, organizing volunteers, and communicating with artist/talent management. It really is amazing how much responsibility our members hold on top of being full time students.

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.