Campus Celebrity: Benjamin Richman (Homecoming King Nominee 2013)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Meet Benjamin Richman, a nominee for 2013 Homecoming King! Prepare to vote for your King and Queen starting October 15th.

Alexa: What are you involved in at UMass?

Ben: My commitments at UMass keep me happily busy. I am an English/Communication double major.  I am also pursuing the Film Certificate and a minor in Economics.   Aside from academics, I am heavily involved in different organizations on campus. I am a member of the short-form improv comedy troupe, Mission:IMPROVable, and the sketch writing comedy troupe, Sketch 22, which both fall under the overarching RSO of Student Valley Productions.  My Student Union Craft Center membership card is a treasured item in my wallet.  I am a past President and Treasurer of JQA hall in Southwest, a contributing writer to the Daily Collegian, a member of the Umass Chapter of Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, and a member of the Umass Chapter of Sigma Alpha Pi, Society of Leadership and Success. But above all else and more, the most important involvement of mine is spending time with friends and meeting new ones.  

Alexa: What is your favorite UMass memory? 

Ben: To be cliché, and to take a line from Tom Brady, my favorite UMass memory is always the next one.  I make valued UMass memories everyday.  Although some are more remarkable than others, it is the collection as a whole that brings about an exciting passion when I think of UMass. 

Alexa: What’s your favorite spot at UMass?

Ben: My favorite spots at UMass are the dining commons.  The DC’s are a great place to and relax after class, interact with old friends, and I’m always looking to make new ones.  The Dining Commons have a strong sense of community, and hey, the food is pretty awsome. 

Alexa: If you could give one piece of advice to UMass underclassmen that are aspiring kings and queens, what would it be?

Ben: If I could give one piece of advice to any UMass underclassmen, it would be to share a smile and say hello to anyone and everyone.  There is nothing that will brighten your day more than just waving to a stranger, making there day, and in turn making yours.  Who knows, that gentle greeting could lead to a great conversation and perhaps an even greater friendship.

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.