Bringing Fiction to Life: 9 Places From TV Shows/Movies That You Can Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Have you ever been watching your favorite TV show or movie and thought, “Wow, I wish I could be there?” There’s just something so magical about being able to visit the actual location where something was filmed. Not only is it wicked cool, but it weaves you into the story that you love, and it’s astounding to think that your favorite actor or actress has walked in the very same location. I remember when I met my first celebrity, Tom Felton, at my local mall right before “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” came out. Besides the fact that I reacted in the complete opposite way they tell fans to act around celebrities (let me know what made me think it was a good idea to stand and gawk), it was surreal to see him on the big screen in a crowded movie theater and think, “Wow I saw that guy with my own eyes.” Being able to witness the scene of something dear to you is an an awesome experience, and considering that many places that popular shows and movies were filmed are real and accessible, you’d better get ready to do some travelling! Here are 21 places from TV shows/movies you can visit: 

1. “Harry Potter” locations: Alnwick Castle, England (Hogwarts); Kings Cross Station, England (Platform 9&3/4); Christ Church, England (Great Hall)

Usually it’s questionable if magic is real, however there’s no denying that you’ll feel the magic of Harry Potter come alive by taking a trip to these locations in England. Alnwick Castle is the set for Hogwarts Castle in the first two Harry Potter movies. Some scenes that were filmed at this castle were Harry’s flying lessons and Ron crashing the flying car into the Whomping Willow. King’s Cross Station is an actual railway station in London, and it was also here that all scenes including running into the wall of Platform 9 and 3/4 was filmed. They also have a section in the station dedicated to Harry Potter, where you can take pictures holding onto a trolley that’s halfway through the wall. Finally, Christ Church is the setting for the famous Great Hall, and is part of Oxford University. Christ Church

2. “The Office” locations: Poor Richards Pub, Scranton, PA (Poor Richards); Chandler Valley Center Studios, Los Angeles, CA (Dunder Mifflin Office); Condos, Resada, CA (Michael’s Condo)

“The Office” is one of the most beloved shows of all time. Out of all the TV shows that have ever existed, I have never heard someone mention anything more than “The Office” (also considering so many of my Facebook friends have liked the Offical Office Facebook page). While the show is based in Scranton, PA, much of the show is filmed in Los Angeles, CA, such as at the Chandler Valley Center Studios, which is the setting for the actual Dunder Mifflin building. Regardless, if one were to visit Scranton they would be able to visit Poor Richards Pub, which is a hotspot for after work relaxing in the show. This pub can be found in Scranton and while you have a drink and wind down, you will get warm and fuzzy thinking about this wonderful show (also probably from the alcohol). Finally, in Resada, CA, you’ll be able to find the location of Michael Scott’s condo. 

Poor Richard’s Pub

3. “Beauty and the Beast” locations: Alsace, France (Belle’s town); Chateau de Chambord, Chambord, France (Beast’s Castle) 

Though I’m sure this is not where the newest “Beauty and the Beast” movie was filmed, the original animated movie based the setting off of these beautiful locations in France. I have personally visited Alsace, and the town is just as quaint, scenic and fairytale-like as in the movie. This is where the town in the movie is based off of. The castle is inspired by Chateau de Chambord, which is a castle in Chambord, France. This is what the Beast’s castle is based off of, as it has a beautiful French architectual type structure. 

Chateau de Chambord

4. “Game of Thrones” locations: Dark Hedges, County Antrim, Northern Ireland (Kingsroad and Dark Hedges); Stangford Castle Ward Estate, County Down, Northern Ireland (Winterfell)

Who wouldn’t want to taste a little bit of the medival times (minus the bloodshed and plague)? There is just something about the knights, castles and royalty that is so interesting, which is why “Game of Thrones” is one of the most popular shows modern day. If you ever wanted to walk the path from Castle Black to King’s Landing, you can visit the Dark Hedges in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It’s a mystifying walkway lined with beech trees and is known as Kingsroad. Another location you can visit to get a feel for monarchy is Stangford Castle Ward Estate, which is where House Stark resides. 

Dark Hedges

5. “The Hobbit” locations: Mt Ngauruhoe, North Island, New Zealand (Mt. Doom); Kawarau Gorge, South Island, New Zealand (Anduin River); Hobbiton, Matamata, New Zealand (movie set)

Travel the whole of New Zealand (where all of the series was filmed) to see if maybe you can master the One Ring. You shall pass through Mt. Ngauruhoe, which is on the North Island of NZ to trek the Tongariro Crossing and inch closer to Mordor. Kawarau Gorge is the Anduin River in the movie, and you can stare out at its expanses imagining the fellowship of the Ring paddling down. Finally, you can visit Hobbiton in Matamata, NZ, and visit the set of the movie itself. While exploring the vast locations of New Zealand, you can sit down here for a drink in the Green Dragon.

Mt Nguaruhoe

6. “Full House” locations: Broderick St., San Francisco, CA (Tanner House); Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA (beginning of each episode)

“Full House” is an oldie but a goodie. I remember sitting on my couch before bed in elementary school watching the nine o’clock showings of this show (which was getting pretty late for eight year old me). “Full House” was pretty much filmed solely in the family home, which is found on Broderick Street in California. Though you can’t actually go inside the house (as it was sold for three million! dollars), you can definitely take a picture outside. Afterwards, since you’re already in San Franciso, you must visit the famous Golden Gate Bridge, which is seen in the opening scene of each episode.

Broderick St (Tanner House)

7. “Walking Dead” locations: Windsor/Doane St, Atlanta, GA (Terminus); Senoia, GA (Woodbury)

If you’re a lover of the apocalyptic scenarios and peaches, you should definitely visit Georgia for a glance at some of the “Walking Dead” locations. You can drive over to an abandoned railway between Windsor and Doane Street. Make sure you don’t stray too far from your car in case you need to outrun some walkers! Another location to check out is Senoia, GA. This is known as Woodbury in the show, and is the location for Carl’s famous pudding eating scene on the roof, so of course every true fan has to see it.

Senoia

8. “Star Wars” locations: Onk Jmel, Tunisia (Mos Epsa); Death Valley, California (Tatoonie); Rub’ Al Khali Dessert, Abu Dhabi (Jakku)

It’ll certainly be a force trying to get to all the different locations “Star Wars” scenes were filmed at, as there are so many. You can start off in California by visiting Death Valley, which is where Jawas and Sand People reside (considering how hot it is). If you ever find yourself in Tunisia, you can visit Mos Epsa, the hometown of Anakin Skywalker. You could then trek over to Abu Dhabi, which in a galaxy light years away is the planet of Jakku.

Onk Jmel

9. “Avatar” locations: ZhangJiaJie National Forest Park, China (inspiration for Pandora)

Though “Avatar” is a computer generated film, the director had to have gotten inspiration from somewhere. And he did, as Pandora is modeled after ZhangJiaJie park in China. You can lookout to the vast, green, rocky range if you were to visit this location.

ZhangJiaJie National Forest Park

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Kathryn Fallah

U Mass Amherst

Hey there!  Thanks for visiting my page. My name is Kathryn and I'm a Journalism major at Umass Amherst. Some of my favorite things are Billy Joel, matcha drinks, and my four guinea pigs. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst