Wellness > Mental Health

Breathe! 5 Things That Keep Me Grounded When Life Gets Stressful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Last weekend I drove my friends around all night long, but when it came time to drive myself home, my car wouldn’t start. I wasn’t sure why this happened, but with the help of a couple friends and a FaceTime call with my dad, I was able to jump start my car. The next morning, the car wouldn’t start again, and I came to the unfortunate realization that the battery needed to be replaced. Luckily my dad came to campus that day, brought some tools, took me to an auto repair shop, and switched out the dead battery for a new one.

As I begin the fifth week of the semester and I am looking at the long list of assignments that I have to complete, I feel a bit like that battery that wouldn’t start. Luckily humans, just like cars, can benefit from having a toolbox and some strategies to repair what might be burnt out. These are five things that I fall back on when life gets stressful.

Spending time with, or calling, loved ones

When you’re stressed, it’s easy to want to isolate yourself from others. This is a tendency that I notice in myself, but I also notice how my mood is boosted when I confide in loved ones. Whether it’s friends, parents, siblings, or significant others, the people who truly care about you will always be a support system to fall back on. It also never hurts to see my pets on a FaceTime call while I’m at school!

Exercising

As the semester picks up and life gets busy, people often stop taking care of themselves, but it is so important to focus on yourself even when it feels difficult to do so. It’s scientifically proven that exercise, and just moving your body, enhances your overall well-being; your energy levels are higher, you feel stronger, you can focus better in class, and you sleep better at night. Personally, I enjoy going to the Rec Center on campus and lifting weights, but there are so many forms of exercise that all offer benefits. Whether it be walking, running, playing team sports, doing yoga, going for a hike, or lifting weights, moving your body can improve all areas of your life.

Journaling 

Journaling is something that I have done since elementary school. When I began writing, I didn’t even know that it was a form of self care. I just knew it felt good to get my thoughts down on paper, especially when I felt that it was something I couldn’t share with anyone. As I have gotten older, technology has made it more natural to spend my free time scrolling on my phone rather than being present with my thoughts. However, when I make a concerted effort to write down my thoughts, it helps me recognize and understand my emotions. This is especially helpful when life gets overwhelming, such as during busy periods of the semester.

Taking a break from schoolwork and social media 

In such a fast-paced lifestyle, it feels as though we are always mentally stimulated; when we are not focused on our own work, we turn to our phones to check on what everyone else is doing. It takes an awareness to recognize this pattern, but once you do, you can break it. Taking the time to do anything that connects you to the present moment can be a huge benefit for your mental health. In addition to talking to loved ones, exercise, and journaling, I also enjoy reading a book, watching a movie, or even just taking a hot shower and cleaning my living space.

Going to therapy 

About a year and a half ago, I began attending weekly therapy and I cannot recommend it enough for anyone who is considering it. Sometimes there is a stigma around going to therapy or there is an idea that something has to be extremely wrong for someone to seek help. Both of these are inaccurate; in my experience, having someone with an unbiased opinion that is certified to give proper advice has been extremely helpful. It can be difficult to share personal things, even with friends or family, so having a safe and reliable outlet can ease those worries.

Having strategies to cope with stress is no different than having tools to fix a broken car battery. There is no avoiding the fact that life is going to get stressful, but how you prepare for it and deal with it is what will dictate your overall well-being.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets e

Ashley Pope

U Mass Amherst '24

Ashley is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in psychology with a minor in education., with a certificate in social work This is her second semester writing for Her Campus and she is excited to continue to be part of the community. In her free time she enjoys reading, journaling, working out, and going to cafes.