This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Getting into the holiday spirit cannot be done without the proper fragrance roaming through the house. Candles are the perfect addition to any house getting ready for one of the craziest times of the year. The question is, what candles are best? To make it easier on everyone this holiday season, I will provide a list of some of the top candles for this time of the year. A quick disclaimer before we get into it. I indeed worked at Bath and Body Works and may have a bias for these candles but I also believe this makes me the perfect candidate to offer the best of the best. 

lit candles at home
Photo by Rebecca Peterson-Hall from Unsplash
The first candle that is noteworthy is Bath and Body Works Fresh Balsam three-wick candle. This candle contains woodland balsam, crisp eucalyptus, fir branches, and cedarwood with essential oils for its scent. This candle easily fills a large room and provides a real-life Christmas tree effect.  

The next candle that sparks some light into the holiday season is another candle offered by Bath and Body Works named Mahogany Balsam. This candle contains juniper berry, fresh balsam, and mahogany wood with essential oils. This candle actually has the making of fresh balsam in it while being more masculine with the mahogany wood almost resembling a cologne that is perfect for the night time. 

Another candle that is perfect during the holidays is yet again another Bath and Body Works candle by the name Champagne Toast. This candle fits perfectly in with the new year and excites the air around when it burns. It contains bubbly champagne, sparkling berries, and sweet orange with essential oils. 

Suvan Chowdhury

The holidays without the Tis the Season candle would not be right. It contains rich red apple, sweet cinnamon, and cedarwood. All of which combine in a perfect combination for the season that brings the family together. 

Pexels

I know, I know, these candles are all from Bath and Body Works. But, in all honesty, I believe they burn better than many other brands and stay consistent in their fragrance even if you were to let them age in a closet due to buying in bulk. These specific candles also burn for a long time compared to many other brands. In my opinion, the longevity of a candle matters heavily because when you find a great candle you want it to last as long as possible. With that being said, some key candle maintenance tips I have learned along the way are that when first lighting any candle, make sure you are prepared to burn it for two to three hours for the best results. This alleviates the uneven burning or any other odd form the wax can melt. Before each burn take a careful look at the stems to make sure they are cut clean. For the last tip, always check to make sure candles are blown out when you leave a room or the house all together to ensure safety. I hope these helped and enjoy the holiday season with each candle you decide to try!

Logan Lornell

U Mass Amherst '22

Logan Lornell is a Senior at UMass Amherst and is a communications major with a psychology minor. Logan has a passion for beauty, fitness, health, fashion and travel. She is excited to be apart of Her Campus and to share her thoughts and experiences on a range of topics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst