This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’ve ever been on Pinterest, you know there are all sorts of tricks of the trade when it comes to beauty. Although the tips seem endless, there are always those top five picks. I’ve chosen my favorites for hair, skin, and nails using household items. Having tried most of them, I can be sure that if you try just one, you’ll be hooked too. 

Hair

• Olive oil: It’s no surprise that olive oil is on the list. After all, it’s known for its health benefits, as well as acting as a staple in the Mediterranean diet. Olive oil is great for healing split ends and strengthening hair. Pour a generous amount into a microwave safe bowl and warm it up. Heat it up ten seconds at a time and keep checking the temperature with your fingers to make sure it’s not boiling. Massage it into your hair and comb through. Then, cover your hair either with a towel or shower cap for an hour (so your hair can absorb it). After an hour, wash with shampoo and conditioner. Do this once a week. Get ready for silky-smooth and shiny locks!
  • Brown sugar: This one is easy. Mix one cup of water with two tablespoons of brown sugar into a spray bottle. Spray on your hair after the shower and let it air dry. The mix helps straighten hair without the damaging heat.
  • Bananas: This tropical fruit packed with vitamins and minerals makes a great hair mask for dry strands. Take two bananas and mix with one egg white, two tablespoons of natural yogurt, two tablespoons of olive oil, and two tablespoons of honey. Shampoo your hair normally and towel dry. Next, brush through your hair and cover from foot to tip with the mask. Cover your hair with a shower cap or towel for 30 minutes. Wash out the mask, but try to stay away from styling products. You’ll notice less frizz and softer hair.
  • Avocados: The properties in avocados not only restore hair, but also help it grow. For this treatment you’ll need an avocado, an egg, and a ½ cup of mayonnaise. First, wash and then massage the mayonnaise into your damp hair. Cover with a shower cap or towel and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse completely with warm water and shampoo normally. Mix the avocado and egg together and apply it to your hair. Let it sit for an additional 15 minutes. Rinse and shampoo. Do this treatment once a week for healthier hair.
  • Yogurt: Not only is the protein good for your body when eaten, but yogurt is also great for moisturizing hair. By making a yogurt mask, you can strengthen hair and mask brittle ends. Blend ½ a cup of plain yogurt with two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply to damp hair and let it absorb for 15 minutes. After, wash normally. When your hair dries, you’ll find that the straw-like feeling has disappeared.

Skin

• Coconut oil: Not just for cooking anymore! For a week, try swapping your cleanser for a coconut oil face wash for an everyday clean. Splash your face with some warm water, and then take a dime -sized amount of the oil and massage it on. Then rinse and pat dry. At first your skin will feel a little oily, but that should go away in a few minutes when the skin absorbs the moisture. I promise you will see improvements in skin texture and brightness.
  • Apple cider vinegar: Weird huh, but this stuff is very good for acne. I would use this nightly since it could be a bit smelly for daytime use. Mix half equal parts vinegar and water in a little bottle and shake. After washing your face, take a cotton ball and dab ACV on trouble spots, or even around the whole face. After, you could either wash it off or leave it on. P.S, ACV also makes your skin glow!
  • Baking soda: This is best used as an exfoliator once a week. Take three tablespoons of baking soda and mix with one tablespoon of water. These two combined will feel odd, but once it’s on your face, it’ll dry and stick until it’s washed off. Work it onto your skin and let it sit for five minutes. Then, rinse and moisturize. Since too much scrubbing can be irritating, I would do this regimen once a week. Bright skin, here we come!
  • Sugar: This is the BEST shaving technique ever! Oh my goodness, your legs will feel like silk. You’ll need to mix two and a half cups of sugar with one cup of olive oil, (or coconut or avocado oil), and five tbsp of citrus juice (like lemon). Stand in the shower or bath for five minutes and then shave your leg. After, use the scrub, wash off, and shave again. You won’t believe how awesome your legs will feel.
  • Advil liquid gels: Who knew that capsules could heal acne? I love this tip because it’s so simple, yet effective. Break open a capsule of a liquid gel and apply to trouble spots. Simple as that. You’re on your way to clear skin!

Nails

• Vaseline: It’s always so frustrating when painting your nails, it seems the polish goes everywhere but the nails! Well here’s a quick fix. Before painting your nails, spread Vaseline on the outer edges. Instantly, unwanted nail polish will lift away. Thank goodness there’s a hassle-free way to do nails!
  • Cooking spray: I didn’t think it would work, but I personally tried this just to see what would happen. Cooking spray dries nails in an instant, (if you don’t spray too closely). After you’ve done your nails, spray the cooking spray on to your nails and let sit for one minute. Wipe away and ta-da! Dry nails! No more waiting impatiently for them to dry. Be sure to have a towel down because the spray could make the floor slippery.
  • Ziploc bag: Lets be honest, we all know it’s not easy getting those designs on our nails. But now, there’s an easier way, a cheat sheet if you will. First, paint your nails whatever color your want as the base. Then paint a design on the Ziploc bag and wait for it to dry. Once it’s dry, you can peel it off and stick it on your nails. How easy is that!
  • Hydrogen peroxide: If you’ve ever wanted white nails, then this tip is for you. Combine one tablespoon of peroxide with two and a fourth cup of baking soda to make a paste. Let it sit on your nails for five minutes. No more nail polish residue!
  • Argan oil: It may not be an item found in the kitchen, but it works wonders for softening those cuticles.

Of course there are so many more tips to share, but these are my absolute favorites. Maybe try one every week and see what you think. I guarantee you’ll be raving about at least one of these tips to your friends. 

Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.