“Bella, Where The Hell Have You Been Loca?”: A Go-To Guide on the Rumored Twilight TV Reboot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you also have an unexplained passion for Twilight. I’ve watched Twilight: New Moon so many times I’ve honestly lost count; and Team Edward is the only right option, by the way (besides maybe Team Alice). Since I watch the Twilight Saga so much, I also keep up to date with the fanbase, whose passion has been reignited after a recent announcement that there is going to be a Twilight TV reboot. I’ve got a lot of feelings about this, and honestly, so does the rest of the internet.

If you aren’t familiar with the story of the Twilight Saga, or you just need a refresher, it follows the main character Bella Swan as she moves to Forks, Washington. Bella is a melancholic teenager who is uncharacteristically pale for previously living in Arizona, and I only mention this because the movies mention it an annoying amount. Anyways, as Bella is navigating living in a new place with her really hot dad (this is a personal opinion, not something that is mentioned in the movie), she runs into an Edward Cullen whose family is mysterious and all… dating each other? And nobody questions it? Edward Cullen, however, is a lone wolf that all of the girls at their high school have a crush on. Edward is appalled by the smell of Bella and it is love at first sight. The series then chronicles their relationship and love triangle with Jacob Black. And also Edward is a vampire and Jacob is a werewolf.

In terms of the reboot, on April 19, 2023, The Hollywood Reporter (THR) came out with an article claiming that Lionsgate was in the early development stages of a series that would ‘bring Stephanie Meyer’s book series back to life’. The article claims that Sinead Daly will be writing the script for this TV series, and it is still in question whether or not it will be a full reboot or a different offshoot. Sources also say that Meyers is expected to be involved with the production of the series. According to THR, Lionsgate representatives declined to comment.

Following this initial article, the internet blew up with rumored information on the alleged TV series. Most of it was just reiterating the same things THR said, but others decided to comment on the meme resurgence that may have contributed to the decision to reboot the series. Twilight has faced a lot of (deserved) criticism about its sexist tropes and harmful themes in the past, but has seen a spike in popularity in the last few years as opposed to the waning support of YA series like Harry Potter.

Twilight fans online also had a lot to say about this alleged reboot. @EliraPendora on Twitter writes, “Ain’t no way Twilight is getting a reboot tv series”. @sottshelb on Twitter also writes, “a Twilight reboot cannot recreate my himbo king Emmett’s liners they were too iconic.” There is so much more discourse online, but it seems to come to the same conclusion: Twilight should be left the way it is. The general consensus is that saga just won’t be the same without the original cast.

I’m honestly not sure how to feel about a Twilight TV reboot. To me, some of the appeal of Twilight is that it is just downright cheesy. I worry about what they’ll do to Twilight with a reboot because the franchise itself is a hard material to work with. I love the Twilight series but I would consider my love to be more ironic than anything. I definitely plan on checking it out no matter what though. Even though Rob and Kristen aren’t in it, I can’t wait to see what the future holds for the Twilight franchise.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Megan Allen

U Mass Amherst '25

Megan is a junior at UMass Amherst, double majoring in Community Education & Social Change and Psychology. Outside of writing, Megan enjoys reading, taking a fitness class, and drinking an iced chai with oat milk. She is so excited to be a part of Her Campus this semester!