This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Fall is a wonderful time of the year. A new school year started, you have so many new opportunities awaiting you, the leaves and weather are starting to change, and some of the best holidays of the year are right around the corner! I’m talking about Thanksgiving and all the great reasons to be thankful for turkey day.

Halloween is always a fun part of the fall season, but Thanksgiving is a time to relax and simply be thankful. It’s hard not to get caught up in the stress and busy days filled with schoolwork, jobs, going to the gym, your social life, etc. Thanksgiving is a time to pause from your sometimes hectic life and take a moment to enjoy your friends, family, and maybe even a little too much food. Even better, there always seems to be leftovers from your Thanksgiving meal. 

Nothing can be better than getting a mini vacation from school to go home and enjoy your family and friends while sitting around the table eating amazing food with great conversation. Many times, football games take over our Thanksgiving weekend along with other fun fall activities that make this season so wonderful.

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is a perfect way to start off the morning too. Thanksgiving is an important day to stop and think what you are thankful for because many times we forget to thank and appreciate the most important people in our lives. Another great reason why Thanksgiving is so great, there are always amazing sales in stores and we know the holidays are fast approaching. There’s nothing like the rush of waking up at 5am to go Black Friday shopping anyway, right? Tis the season, girls.

So, try to be mindful to stop and think why you are thankful for Thanksgiving this year and truly enjoy the friends and family you are celebrating the holiday with. Gobble, Gobble!

Elana Jacobson

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst