This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Though we have a few weeks before the much needed Thanksgiving break, the thought of sitting at home for 7 days with no fun plans after a semester of hustle and bustle gives me slight anxiety. Finding ways to spend my precious free time is actually much more stressful than it sounds. Sure, this break is more than necessary and I am forever greatful to get a whole week off from classes, but the change of pace and scenery will definitely be a weird adjustment. What am I supposed to do with all this free time? In order to combat this somewhat irrational fear, I’ve already begun brainstorming a list of ways I can keep myself busy yet relaxed with activities that I wouldn’t normally be able to do while at school. 

1)Start that new show and/or book

You know that show on Netflix with 8 completed seasons you’ve been eyeing for awhile but didn’t want to committ to watching during the semester? There’s no better time to indulge in nonstop binge-watching than Thanksgiving break. Or maybe take some time away from the screens and pick up something to read at the library that’s not a boring textbook! For inspiration, check out the New York Times Best Sellers to catch up on some of this year’s most popular reads!

2) Spend time outside

Ahh, the fall foliage. If we’re lucky and the weather stays nice for a few more weeks, it might still be warm enough to enjoy the scenery outdoors while home for Thanksgiving. Whether it’s a hike, bike ride, or going for a run, soaking up the last bit of that late autumn sun before December arrives is a must. A family tradition of mine is to go to Cape Cod the weekend after Thanksgiving and walk along the beach. Usually, gloves and a hat are needed but when the sun is shining, it feels just like another beautiful fall day!

3) Reconnect with hometown friends

Thanksgiving break is great because unlike winter or spring breaks, every college (or at least in the United States; sorry Canada!) has the same dates off from class, so all of your friends should be home at the same time! This is the perfect time to catch up with the highschool friends you haven’t seen since the summer, if not longer, and fill them in on your crazy college stories. 

4) Take a trip to the city

If you have the luxury of living within driving distance of a big city such as Boston, New York, or Philly, use one of your free days and play tourist for the day! Maybe there’s a museum you never had the chance to visit, or a basic tourist attraction you somehow missed on your other visits, exploring the city–for the first time or the 100th–is amazing to do if you have the time on your hands! 

5) De-clutter your closet

Because nothing is more satisfying than finally getting rid of all that clothing you don’t wear anymore to make space for new stuff. Why not make your life easier and clean out your closet (and even your entire room if you’re feeling extra bold) so you’re not coming home to a mess after winter break? Getting a head start on making the change from your fall to winter wardrobe will save you so much time in the long run, and all that new extra space in your closet means you can go on a shopping spree and fill it with new clothes!!

Obviously the point of Thanksgiving break is to spend time with family, but there are also tons of fun and/or productive ways to utilize the week off! 

Image sources: 1, 2, 34,

Stephanie Wasserman

U Mass Amherst '21

Stephanie is a current sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in political science and journalism. She likes to spend her free time hanging out with friends, eating at berk for late night, and watching her favorite Netflix shows (but mostly just the Office). You can follow her on Instagram @slwasserman_
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst