This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

That is the question! Going gluten-free is the latest diet craze and it seems like everyone has proclaimed themselves gluten intolerant; maybe you’ve been contemplating doing the same, but is a gluten-free diet all it’s cracked up to be?

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley and foods that are made with these products (whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc). In a person diagnosed with Celiac disease, avoiding gluten is a must as the intestinal villi become inflamed when gluten is ingested, producing some not-so-pleasant symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. A gluten intolerance or sensitivity is more common but has less severe, but no less uncomfortable, symptoms such as bloating and abdominal discomfort.

Since gluten is responsible for the fluffy texture of breads and baked goods, manufacturers simulate this with added sugars and fats. In addition, gluten free products are often less fortified with essential nutrients than their regular counterparts. So don’t assume that gluten free (always) means healthy!

Another misconception is that switching to a gluten-free diet will automatically make you lose weight. Yes, weight loss can occur if you’re swapping out pasta and bagels for fruits and vegetables, which are naturally lower in calories, but remember that weight loss always comes down to burning more calories than you consume.

That being said, there are some benefits to going gluten-free. The wheat grown today has been genetically modified so that farmers can produce a large volume quickly, rendering the crops far less healthy than they should be.  In addition, modern wheat can stimulate the appetite and can be cause for those carbohydrate cravings and incessant hunger. Thus, eliminating, or even reducing, gluten can make for a healthier diet in this respect.

If you’re considering going gluten-free, do it the smart (i.e. healthy) way. Opt for naturally gluten-free foods, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, beans and legumes, eggs, meat, poultry, fish, tofu, dairy products, and grains such as oatmeal, rice, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, and amaranth. 

Make room for more fruits and vegetables in your diet to ensure you’re getting the nutrients you need. Instead of replacing a regular bagel with a gluten-free one, go for a baked sweet potato; have a burger in a lettuce or collard wrap as opposed to a gluten-free bun.

If you’re unsure where to start with a gluten-free diet, check out blogs such as glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com and paleomg.com for meal ideas and recipes! 

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst