The Basics For A Fresh-Faced Make-Up Look for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There may still be snow on the ground, and walking to class may feel like completing a triathlon, but spring is upon us, Collegiettes. In a few short weeks, the sun will be shining, and the flowers will begin to blossom. It’s time to revamp your makeup routine, and uncover that inner flower waiting to bloom.

The winter months can take a toll on one’s appearance, among the annoying side effects are dry skin and chapped lips. No need to fear, this will soon be in the past, and we’ll have to wait another year to brave the storms. Luckily for us busy Collegiettes, we don’t need to spend as much time piling on the makeup once spring rolls around; we can get ready faster, and spend more time enjoying the sun’s inviting rays. This season the hottest makeup is sometimes the simplest. Uncover your inner flower child, and use these guidelines to stay looking as fresh and beautiful as a rose in bloom.

1. It all begins with the base. Many of us fail to realize that perfecting our complexion is the most important part of our makeup routine. Without a flawless base, you may look tired and unhealthy. For this fresh-faced look, it’s crucial to ensure that your face is looking bright and radiant. If your skin has only a few random blemishes, and overall looks fine, then you can opt for a tinted moisturizer with SPF. This will keep your skin looking dewy, without appearing like you caked on the makeup. Your skin will be able to breathe, and you’ll be protected from the sun’s powerful rays.

If the thought of leaving your foundation behind gives you anxiety, that’s okay, try using a mineral powder, such as Bare Minerals Foundation™. It’s still light enough to give you a natural look, but it’s also great for coverage. As a bonus, it’s actually good for your skin, and according to Bare Minerals™, you can actually sleep in it. Who knew?

2. To create the illusion of wide-awake eyes, be sure to always keep an under-eye concealer handy. I recommend Bye Bye Under Eye concealer by IT Cosmetics™, it works like magic… instantly you’ll look like you got that full 9 hours of sleep, that we all need but never seem to get. Remember a little goes a long way. This stuff is very potent, so just dab on a tiny amount with your ring finger, and pat it around your whole eye. Be careful, the eye area is extremely delicate; be sure to be gentle to prevent premature wrinkles.

3. Many girls find themselves entirely dependent on bronzer. Bronzer does not scream spring, a pretty pink blush does. Choose a color that compliments your skin tone. Almay Smart Shade™ cream blush in rose is a nice option for those unsure of what color will suit them; it’s very easy to blend and it’s easy to build up the color to customize your look. 

4. When choosing makeup for your eyes, think light, shimmery eye shadows. Colors such as lilac, mint green, light gold, and light brown are all very spring-like colors that will work with most skin tones. Try Bare Minerals™ shimmer eye shadows, or if you’re on a budget give Revlon Photo Ready™ eye shadow a try in Watercolors. It’s a darling purple shadow palette that looks pretty and polished upon application. It’s all about the natural look; steer clear of dark, dramatic colors. Smoky eyes are a staple in winter, now is your time to be free and sparkle. Shimmer is a good option, because it will give a fun, flirty look, subtly drawing attention to your eyes. Make them pop.

5. Lastly, you’ll want to find a good mascara to finish off this polished look. A tried-and-true keeper is Bad Gal Mascara™ by Benefit Cosmetics. This award-winning eye opener has a large brush that will catch every last lash without clumping. One coat is enough to do the trick, but if you feel you must, two coats is okay. Don’t bother with the lower lash; remember we’re going for soft and feminine, not hard and dark. And ladies, please skip the eyeliner, it’s too harsh for this bright time of year.

Use all these tips and you’ll be sure to be in full bloom.

Photo Sources: 1234567.

Shanna Coffrey

U Mass Amherst

Shanna is a junior English major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She loves reading, writing, and drawing in her spare time. She is very interested in health and well-being through eating, exercise, and meditation. After graduation, she hopes to pursue a career in journalism or education.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst