Barack Obama’s Not So Affordable Care Act

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

“Let me get this straight . . .We’re going to be “gifted” with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don’t! Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn’t understand it, passed by a Congress that didn’t read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a Dumbo President who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn’t pay his taxes, for which we’ll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese , and financed by a country that’s broke! What the hell could possibly go wrong?”

– Donald Trump

In the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, Barack Obama won a staggering majority of the youth vote. So, why is it that arguably the most pivotal of campaign promises is struggling to gain any support from younger Americans?

With all the confusion Obama’s universalized health care plan has generated, it is hard to decipher what has actually happened, and more importantly, what is going to happen and how it will affect YOU. In essence, the Obamacare price tag is relatively high for taxpayers. Older citizens generally need more money to satisfy their healthcare needs. As a result of this, the government is attempting to coerce younger citizens (ages 18-35) to subsidize these high costs.

To make things clear, here is a simple breakdown of some numbers which highlight how Obamacare will impact people our age. In Pennsylvania, where healthcare costs will be among the lowest of the 50 states, someone who earns $20,000 annually will have to pay a premium around $1,620. Compare this number to Illinois, which will be closer to Massachusetts in healthcare costs, the premium for someone earning $20,000 annually will be $2,868. Both plans, in addition to these altitudinous premiums, will have $600 deductibles.

If you are interested in seeing exactly how much Obamacare will drain your bank account, visit this website.

If those numbers didn’t scare you enough, below is a chart that lists the additional costs of Obamacare that you will be paying for in taxes.

Throughout his candidacy Barack Obama has received impressive support from celebrities. During both of his campaigns he has utilized celebrity endorsements to help his policies gain support from the American youth. He has called upon celebrities to advocate for Obamacare by making sales pitches and releasing persuading videos. Historically, celebrities have been able to easily sell products to Americans. However, with copious amounts of money to lose, and not a whole lot to gain, young Americans are likely to remain hesitant to sign on for Obama’s healthcare plan.

Content Sources: 1, 2

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3.

Junior Political Science and Legal Studies Double Major at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst