Banned4Life Blood Drive Tomorrow, March 4th in Crampton Hall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Living in 2014, I’m sure all of us have either donated blood, or know someone who has. It’s an experience we are all very familiar with, and can completely understand how empowering it feels to know your own blood has gone to better someone’s life. However, this feeling is not one that all have the opportunity to experience. The United States Federal Drug Administration, known as the FDA, still follows an outdated policy that bans donations from any man who has had sex with a man (MSM) since 1977. One pint of blood can save three lives, so imagine how much of a difference it would make to have this policy no longer exist.

Banned4Life is an event coming to UMass Amherst this Tuesday, March 4th, from 1:00-6:30PM in the Crampton Hall Basement. UMass Amherst’s American Red Cross Club, as well as the Stonewall Center organized this event. It is an opportunity for those who disagree with the FDA’s policy to help take a stand. Being an active member of our UMass community is something we all should be passionate about, as it is our own voices that will make a difference in the future. At this event, you will be informed about the policy banning MSM and signatures will be collected, which is a key step in making the FDA view this as an unjust issue.  You will be encouraged to donate blood in place of someone you know that is “Banned4Life” due to their sexuality.

Matt Martel is a junior at UMass Amherst and Vice President for UMass’ own American Red Cross Club. He has been volunteering for the Red Cross for five years now, and has the utmost respect for their influences and impact on people’s lives. He is thrilled to be working hand in hand with UMass’ Red Cross Club, Stonewell Center and Banned4Life. He feels as through the FDA’s policy is a limitation we should no longer stand for.  He describes the policy as “focusing solely on an individual’s sexual orientation, with no regard for a man’s sexual behavior.”  

Matt explains his first encounter with Banned4Life by saying, “One day I saw this post by a man named Blake Lynch, telling us to check out his cause. He tried to draw blood and couldn’t so he started this organization.” Seeing this began Matt’s journey with Banned4Life, bringing us to this Tuesday, where he will be hosting the event. Matt expects a great turnout, and is encouraging all to come and let their voices be heard on behalf of those who can’t.  I asked Matt why he is so strongly dedicated to this issue and he responded with, “I believe that people need to be fully aware that this is a major social issue, and this is something that is attached to the United States. It’s almost like ‘yeah we accept gay people, yes they can even get married in some places, but we are still going to be weird about it and not fully accept them.’

I was also fortunate enough to speak with Blake Lynch, founder of Banned4Life. His incredible story can be found here. I asked Blake what his response would be to those opposed to a gay man donating their blood, in regards to health issues. “The H in HIV stands for human, not homosexual,” Blake explained, “HIV does not discriminate. I’m a homosexual male and have a zero chance of becoming HIV positive because of the relationship with my partner.” Blake and Matt, and all of the people they work to represent, deserve our support. Other than helping our community become a better one, people who attend the event will have the added incentive of a 20% off coupon to Greeno Sub Shop! As photographs will be taken, those of you willing to be in a couple shots should try and wear red and/or black.  If you cannot attend the event, or are unable to donate but still want to help make a difference, please sign this petition.

Don’t forget, March 4th from 1:00-6:30 in the Crampton Hall Basement marks a new step in the work to make America an equal country. I hope to see you all there!

Sources: 1, 2, 3.

Photo Sources: 1, 2.

Leah Mertes

U Mass Amherst

Leah Mertes is a freshman at UMASS Amherst, studying Communications. She began working and writing for Her Campus second semester of her freshman year, and fell in love immediately. She loves the independence involved in writing, and has many article ideas to come! Leah also spends a lot of her year volunteering, especially during Spring Break when she travels to Honduras. Leah works in Northampton MA, for an organization named Kaya, coordinating international volunteer programs. Aside from work and school she loves her two cats, and spending time back home in Holyoke, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst