Bachelor Fans, Meet Your Next Obsession: “Love is Blind” on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are so many fun reality TV shows, but my – and America’s – latest obsession is “Love is Blind”.  The show tries to answer the age-old question, if love is truly blind, by trying to make singles in their twenties fall in love without seeing their potential partners. “Love is Blind” is a combination of “The Bachelor” and “Married at First Sight”, so grab some popcorn and enjoy this amazing new show.  

woman eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels
How can you date someone without seeing him or her? The singles go on a series of individual dates, talking through a screen so they don’t see each other.  The idea is that by focusing on the person’s personality rather than their appearance, the participants form an emotional bond and truly fall in love, rather than getting distracted by more superficial factors. There is plenty of drama as several members of the show end up dating multiple people. After several days of dates, several couples decide to get engaged, at which point they are allowed to see their fiancé for the first time.

It’s amazing to watch their reactions as the participants see their partners for the first time. The newly engaged couples take a relaxing (and, of course, dramatic) trip to Mexico. The couples who decide to stay together then return home, move in together, and start planning their weddings, which take place only a month after the couples first met. One of the best things about the show is the cast. Although the show starts out focusing on a large group of singles dating each other, it quickly focuses on the several couples that get engaged. This allows the viewer to get to know the cast members better and become invested in their lives and relationships.

Some of the couples are adorable, and it is heartwarming to watch them on their journey of falling in love and getting married. There are many cute moments that will leave you cheering for them.  Other couples have much more tumultuous relationships, with plenty of drama and fights to keep things interesting.  

remote control turning on the tv
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters from Unsplash
The show is anything but predictable, and my initial thoughts about which couples would get married were not correct. “Love is Blind” will keep you guessing until the couples walk down the aisle and say “I do” or “I don’t”. It’s fun to make predictions and analyze each episode with your friends. Plus, there is a reunion episode, which gives you an update on what the cast has been up to in the year following the show.  

“Love is Blind” is such a fun show, and there’s never a dull moment.  If you’re stressed about midterms, watching this show is a great way to unwind.  Or, if you don’t have spring break plans, then set up a girls night to watch the show with your friends from home. “Love is Blind” is on Netflix, and you can binge all 10 episodes now. So, stop reading this article, find some drama-loving friends, and start watching!    

All images are courtesy of the Her Campus Media Library.  

Allison Brookhart

U Mass Amherst '23

Ally Brookhart is a senior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is majoring in biochemistry and is interested how science interacts with society. Ally enjoys exploring new places, reading, working out, and playing volleyball.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst