This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Who’s ready for some Netflix bingeing?! Yes, I know the semester just began and maybe we should focus on classes…but c’mon, how can you resist these awesome movies? Take a look at some of (my) top picks on Netflix this fall, from all genres. 

1. To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

Now, I know this movie has gotten a lot of hype on the internet recently, but it’s so well-deserved. The movie gives us the perfect feel-good vibe that we desperately need for the start of the school year, with some much-needed Asian-American representation. Plus, Noah Centineo is the perfect dreamy lead. This is the perfect movie to watch when you’re cozied up in bed with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s.

2. Sydney White

I can hear the wheels in your brain turning… You remember that movie from oh-so long ago… That modern-day Snow White movie where the girl has seven dorks instead of seven dwarves…That’s the one! This classic 2007 film, starring Amanda Bynes, revolves around a girl’s first introduction to college. It’s perfect to laugh at with your friends (a “Hot or Not” list? In college? Crazy!) and gush over how cute Tyler Prince is. And the scene where her Mac laptop gets a virus and the hacker says, “One poisoned apple“? Untouchable. 

3. Two Weeks Notice

This movie truly has all that a rom-com ever needs: Sandra Bullock, Hugh Grant, and a pair of unlikely lovers who go from hating each other to respecting each other to falling in love. What more could you ask for? 

4. The Breakfast Club

Finally, this classic is available to stream on Netflix! Take yourself back to the 80’s through John Hughes’ eyes and attend Saturday detention with the quintessential crew: a princess, an athlete, a basket-case, a criminal, and a brain. I’m honestly getting emotional just thinking about Bender’s fist-in-the-air in the final scene’s freeze-frame. 

5. Heathers

Another perfect 80s film. Heathers is much more of dark comedy than a rom-com, but it’s a must-see nonetheless. Who wouldn’t want to see Winona Ryder, covered in dirt and blood and grime after watching her ex blow himself up, respond to, “You look like hell,” with, “Yeah? I just got back.” (Bit of a spoiler there…sorry about that!) 

6. Kill Bill (Vol. 1)

Honestly, this movie is just a Tarantino must-see and if you don’t know why, head to Netflix and watch it right now. Seriously. Leave this article and go watch it. You’ll thank me later.

7. Black Panther

This movie broke box office records and made the world absolutely infatuated with T’Challa, Shuri, and Wakanda…forever (see what I did there?). Marvel truly did it again and created a masterpiece of an action movie filled with amazing characters, tech, and hilarious comedy. If you haven’t seen this already, what are you doing?!

8. Interview With The Vampire

This movie has earned the title of cult classic, and it’s well-deserved. Plus, it’s almost Halloween and you know what that means: we’re bringing back the vampire obsession, and it starts with revitalizing the craze around this film. I mean, Kirsten Dunst is giving the performance of her life at only age 12. (Plus, I also much prefer the Tom Cruise Lestat to the Stuart Townsend Lestat). 

9. Creep

Like I said before, it’s almost Halloween and if you’re looking for a horror movie to haunt your dreams as well as make you laugh out loud in shock…well, do I have the movie for you. Creep is almost better left undescribed so that the viewer can find out why it’s so good. And if you want a real ride, check out Creep 2 (a Netflix original).

10. Ex Machina

This movie delivers terrifyingly real AI robots, toxic masculinity, and feminist girl power. If you’re looking for a movie to empower you as a woman, while giving you Black Mirror-type chills about our impending doom, then this is the movie for you! Also, Domnhall Gleeson is kind of the perfect counterpart to Oscar Isaac, so that’s fun to enjoy. 

Have you seen any of these movies? What did you think? Let us know!

Image Sources: 12, ​​345, 67891011

Lulu Amirault

U Mass Amherst '19

I'm a grad of UMass Amherst with two degrees in Classics and Communications (a random combination, I know.) I'm into graphic design, photography, and attempting to bullet journal throughout the month. You can usually find me hanging with my cat Gatsby and listening to Harry Styles.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst